5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

format slave drive

I have installed an old drive as a slave (using cable select) and want to format it. When I try, it says it cannot format the drive and that all programs using the drive should be shut down. This is on an XP PRO system and both drives are formatted as NTFS. How can I format the 2nd drive?

Thanks

Re: format slave drive

trebor,
    Can you install the drive using master & slave jumpering and try it that way?
    Is the system recognizing the other drive with a new letter assignment. IS it OK in Device Manager?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen this error caused by trying to Format the drive from within Windows Explorer, when it is the currently selected item in the left hand explorer window. Try selecting My Computer and collapsing all other items in the left hand pane, then right click the drive in the right hand pane to select format.

Alternatively you can use Disk Manager to do this sort of job. Right click My Computer > Manage > Select Disk Management on the left, then Right click the partition you want to format at the bottom right and select Format...

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart - that did it for me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Stuart's suggestion to use the Disk Management tool worked for me. Thanks for you help.