Thanks

Launch PDF from Word (revisited) (VBA/Word 2003 SP1)

I previously reviewed the thread starting with <post#=318851>post 318851</post#> and followed the advice I found therein. I used the ShellExecute method and was able to launch a pdf from a menu button.

Then I installed Adobe Acrobat 7 try-out. I almost immediately uninstalled the Office integration. Still, I was able to launch the pdf, even though I had to click through a splash screen counting down the days until AA7 timed out.

Finally, I uninstalled the whole program, but left Adobe Reader 7 on my PC. Now the pdf doesn't launch.

I "repaired" Reader. The pdf still doesn't launch. I tried both of JScher's methods of launching the pdf from <post#=318692>post 318692</post#>. I finally got an error message that meant something when I tested ShowPDF2 -- "No application is associated with the specified file for this operation."

Yikes. I can double-click on a pdf and Reader opens. Or does this message mean something else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kim Murdock

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Launch PDF from Word (revisited) (VBA/Word 2003 SP1)

How did you repair the Reader? Have you tried re-installing the Reader?

I would have thought correcting the file association for double-clicking would have been sufficient but perhaps there is another one specific to the command prompt. What result do you get if you open a command prompt and attempt to open a pdf from there?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Re: Launch PDF from Word (revisited) (VBA/Word 2003 SP1)

Thanks Andrew - good advice. I should have uninstalled/reinstalled Reader in the first place.

I started to reinstall last night but because Reader was already installed, the setup program prompted me to repair or remove. I chose repair as it looked like it was going to do what I wanted it to do -- restore shortcuts, registry settings and file associations.

This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled and it's working fine. Next time I'll skip the repair.

Thanks,
    Kim