Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Mapping (XP Home)

I have a wireless router that connects two PCs. The first machine A is XP Pro and the second machine B is XP Home. The issue I am having is mapping to a shared directory on machine A. I have checked the workgroup, managed the user ID an password on machine A but am having no luck. Trying to connect as MachineASharedName and appropriate password.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive Mapping (XP Home)

I have moved this post from the Windows XP forum to Networking your Home, so it will be in the best place for future searchers / browsers.

The first step to take is to turn off all firewalls (just till we finish testing). If the network then works you can turn the firewalls back on and work out how to configure them correctly. If this doesn't help then try rebooting both PCs, attempt a connection and then check the event log on both systems from when they started booting, to see if there are any clues.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    I was not sure where this post would fit. Thanks for moving it to networking.

I tried you suggestion and disabled the firewall and sure enough I was able to map the the share on machine A. At this point how do we resolve the firewall issue.

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a really good start. Can you let me know what firewall(s) you are using, and how the network is connected?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

Both machines are using the native XP fire walls and are connected via a Lynksys wireless router. The operating system for Machine A = XP Pro and Machine B = XP Home. A workgroup is being used as opposed to a domain.

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am not an expert in configuring the XP SP2 firewall, so you may get better advice from someone who uses it. I think you need to configure an Exception for File and Print Sharing on the PC where you created the shares.

My understanding is that this is for local traffic only, you would need to configure access on the Advanced tab if you want to allow people from the Internet to access your PC.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Get a good third party firewall, I use Zone Alarm, and turn OFF the MS firewall. When running XP SP2 and a third part firewall the MS firewall should turn it's self off.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave's right - get rid of Windows Firewall - it is woefully inadequate at protecting you anyway. It only protects from unauthorized incoming access attempts where 3rd party firewalls (like ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall - both are FREE for home/non-commercial use) block both incoming and outgoing unauthorized access attempts. This is important because if you surf the Internet, badguys WILL get in. The outgoing protection will block those badguys from "calling home" with data about you. Windows Firewall (ICF in SP1) will not.

As mentioned, do NOT run more than one firewall at once - even MS says so in their firewall FAQ page.

When you get them installed on each machine, add the other computer's IP individually, or all at once by IP range, to the Trusted Zone of each firewall and you should have your protected network.

Note that SP2's Windows FW is not totally worthless - during Windows installations, it helps protect your system while you download the latest updates, and a 3rd party firewall.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────