New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protection (XP Home (SP2))

I've just installed a wireless network linking my desktop and laptop. Both machines will be shared among 3 people (me, wife, daughter) - and both have separate logons for each of us. Most of my important files are on the desktop, and I'm trying to find a way to share these files with the laptop, without allowing my daughter to access the files. Here's what I've found so far:

This article says password protection under Windows XP has always been available for NTFS hard drives. (When I right-click the root C: drive, the properties say that it's NTSF, so I suppose it's not FAT.) The problem is that I can't see any way, either by right clicking, or reading Help screens, to use passwords. However the main point of the article is that whether or not you have NTFS, you should be able to use compressed folders and the password protection they provide. Apparently, you should be able to right-click the desktop and the "New" menu choice should offer a "Compressed (zipped) folder" option. My "New" menu offers lots of options, but a compressed folder isn't one of them.

Next, I tried fishing around in the various options, and found that if I create a new folder, and then go to Properties/General/Advanced, I get an option to select "Compress Contents to Save Disk Space" and a 2nd option below it that says "Encrypt contents to secure data." However, the option for encrypting data is greyed out. I thought that perhaps I could pick the first option, and then once the folders contents are compressed, the encryption option would un-grey itself, and I could select it. Unfortunately, no such luck - even when I compress the folder, the encryption option remains greyed out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

[To jump a step ahead, once I figure out how to deal with the folders, I'd also like my Outlook Express email to be available, password protected, of course, on both computers. Is there a way to do this?

Apologies for the long post, and thanks for any help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Password Protection (XP Home (SP2))

I have a similar setup and switched off 'simple file sharing' (Open 'my computer', go to options. second tab and clear 'simple file sharing') Now you can for each folder indicate who has access to the files in it. (Right click, properties, security, etc...)
    Hope this helps. (Just noticed you ar e using XP Home, I don't know if it will work with that version)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> to make link active.

Thanks for the info, but, as you suggested, <!mskb=304040>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304040<!/mskb> says:
    "Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing enabled."

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you are basically stuck. As the article you referenced says, if you share a file on the network then it is for everyone.

If this is really important to you then you may want to buy a copy of Windows XP Professional and upgrade.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You can set up a share name with $ at the end and it will be hidden. Then you can go to the machine you want to see it and map a netowrk drive to the hidden share. The other PC will not know the share name unless you tell it. But if it is guessed it can still be accessed.

Joe
    Joe