Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting (Firefox 1.0.1)

I have searched this forum and Mozilla's extensions for a way to format emails in my Yahoo email account and come up empty. Is there an extension or a way to allow me to format text in my Yahoos email account while using Firefox as my browser?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting (Firefox 1.0.1)

Yahoo mail has 2 mail formats, HTML and plain text. The formatting buttons only appear when using HTML mail. For HTML mail, Yahoo mail uses a rich text editor that uses proprietary Microsoft features and only shows up on Internet Explorer and possibly other IE based browsers. For other browsers such as Firefox you only get the option of using the plain text mail composer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony55,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's why even when I pasted formatted text from Word into the email all the formatting disappeared. Not sure I like that about Firefox but, again, thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The proprietary Microsoft rich text editor is also used by Hotmail. Hopefully these sites will eventually be modified to implement rich text editing in other browsers. In the mean time an extension, yahoocompose, is being developed to allow rich text editing for Yahoo mail, but this in a very early stage of development and is not particularly useful at this time.

A rich text editor called Midas has been developed for Mozilla browsers - Mozilla Rich Text Editing Demo. If all goes to plan the yahoocompose extension will eventually use the Midas rich text editor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The eWebMail - Color and Graphics extension can be used to replace these features. There are some known issues as detailed on the authors site. It is also available from The Extensions Mirror

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tony55,

Thanks again.
    H Lewton