New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete Contacts (Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6735) SP3 )

I use Outlook to send out email meeting notices to an organization I belong to. I am running into a problem that is driving me nuts and I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen the same symptoms. I have 2 Contact Folders in Outlook that I clean out regularly and then import updated contacts. Before I import the updated contacts, I empty the Deleted Items folder and then compact my PST file. This has been working fine for the past few years but in the last 12 months I have run into a problem. When the problem starts it causes problems with cleaning out the Contact Folders. When I go to the smaller of the 2 Contact Folders (213 items with just name and email address), using the Edit Menu I click on Select All, it then takes about 35 to 40 seconds to highlight all of them so I can delete them. I can live with this but it is a nuisance. The 2nd Contact Folder has 950 items with names, multiple addresses, phone numbers, info, and email addresses. When I try to use Select All of the contacts, the computer processor goes to 100% and stays there for well over an hour (longest I let it go one time) effectively locking up the computer.

The only way I was able to get the problem to go away was to completely uninstall Microsoft Office and do a clean install and then redo all my Outlook Profiles and then import backup data into the new PST file. I also have to reset all the defaults I have with the other Office products. What a pain. I have tried all kinds of things just short of reinstalling office without any success. I have done the clean install a couple of times but after 3 or 4 months the problem popped up again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delete Contacts (Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6735) S

It sounds as if you are going to have to set up PSTs specially for the purpose. Changing your PST is relatively painless. You simply have to move the existing PST out of the default folder - while Outlook is closed - and then navigate it to the new one. The "dedicated" PSTs would have nothing in them but Contacts items. Apologies if I have not taken in the full nuances of your current set-up, but please post back.

The other apparent alternative is to boost your RAM up to - say - 1Gb - which is a rather more expensive proposition.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I use seperate PST files for other reasons and for backup purposes so it would be no troulbe to add a PST file to a Profile. The only issue I need to explore is syncing my Contacts & Calendar with my PDA. Your reply gives me an idea to try to work around this issue or at least make it manageable. I will play around with it to see if I can solve my problem. I do have 1GB of RAM in my desktop system. The PST file size on the desktop is minimal compare to the one I use on my business laptop. That leads me to believe it is a Microsoft Office / Outlook issue and not related to memory. Anyway, thanks for your help.

I will let you know if I came up with a solution.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried deleting the Contacts in the bigger PST in, say, 3 or 4 stages? (I have always found that Outlook is excessively resource hungry.) HTH
    Gre

Thanks

If the folders you want to completely empty are not the "default" Contacts folder, you might be able to just drag the folder to the trash or even Shift-Delete it. You probably cannot do that with the default folder, as it hopefully is protected from such things...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried running the delete via code? Something like this, only you should protect it from accidental operation:

Sub KillContacts()
    Dim itmContacts As Items
    Dim fldrDel As MAPIFolder
    Dim objItem As Object, objDelItem As Object

Set fldrDel = Outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFo lderDeletedItems)
    Set itmContacts = Outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(olFo lderContacts).Items
    ' or perhaps use the .Pickfolder method for the Contact Folders
    ' Set itmContacts = Outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI").Pickfolder.Items

For Each objItem In itmContacts
    Set objDelItem = objItem.Move(fldrDel)
    objDelItem.Delete
    Next objItem

Set objDelItem = Nothing
    Set objItem = Nothing
    Set itmContacts = Nothing
    Set fldrDel = Nothing
    End Sub
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all for the feedback. I been out all day and will try some of the suggestions and let you know if I was able to fix the problem.