Thread: Imaging OS's

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Imaging OS's

Hi,

I have a question concerning imaging ... we have inherited a number of near identical servers (Compaq DL380's as it happens) and our intention is to incorporate them into our fledgling AD domain and what would be nice would be to use some kind of imaging method.

Until recently we used PowerQuest's ImageCentre software with no real issue ... until the day we started to get some TS License Server problems (not able to log on to servers using TS) and, whether the software is at fault or not, I have been a little wary of it since.

Typically we image a Windows 2000 build with TS Remote Admin enabled, fully service packed and patched with a number of small applications installed (Virus Scanner, WinZip, Adobe Reader, Legato Backup etc.) and we do so only for identical hardware builds and before the system has been allowed to join a domain (though it will have mapped drives sometimes). What I would like to know is, is imaging safe? If so, are there any other things that I should do to an image, post layering and before it joins the domain?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Imaging OS's

I would recommend using sysprep on the build, before creating the image.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK ...

... I used SYSPREP a long time ago when I was at another place so I vaguely remember how it all works.

Some questions ... is it meant to be used ONLY after the OS is initially installed or can I build the OS, patch it to the latest SP and Windows updates and THEN run SYSPREP? Can I install other applications (mostly small) on the system first and then run SYSPREP i.e. will those installs be carried across (the link you gave implies that)? Am I correct in saying that some factors aside (such as ACPI) I can use the same SYSPREP'd image to install on a Compaq DL380 and on a a DL580 and on a 6500 (in principle)?

Anyway ... I will check for your answer tomorrow and do a bit more investigating then. Thanks for your help :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OK ...

I have never used sysprep myself, but my understanding is that you can build a complete image, including all your applications etc,. and then use sysprep to remove the "identity" of the system so that it can be imaged. I also believe that this will work on many different target systems, even if they have different disk controllers, so long as they are all ACPI (or all non ACPI).

StuartR