2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date modified for files (XP Pro)

Hi all,
    At work I have inherited a system whereby every e-mail to a central e-mail address is into the archived folders folder in Outlook and then transferred on a monthly basis to a directory in Windows Explorer for searching and access where necessary at a later dat.
    The problem I have identified is that when the e-mails are cut and pasted into the Windows Explorer directory, all of the dates in the Date Modified field are changed to today's date, that is the date I did the cut and paste.
    This problem makes searching by date almost impossible as all of the dates are today's date.
    Does anyone know how I can cut and paste these e-mail into the Windows directory and retain the original date information?
    Thanks heaps.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date modified for files (XP Pro)

I don't use Outlook at all, so I'm a bit hesitant to move this thread to the Outlook forum, where you might get a better answer. Hopefully one of the Mods who knows Outlook will take a look here and see what he/she thinks. The reason I said that is that your problem seems to lie in the email innards of Outlook, not Windows Explorer. If you "cut and paste" files in Windows Explorer, the dates are not changed. The same is true of right-dragging files for copy or move - dates are not changed, at least in the tests I just did.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Check out the MSN desktop search. It can search e-mail so you don't have to move it. NOTE: This is still a BETA version so be aware it is not aa finished product.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to lock this thread now as I see you have already cross-posted and have a couple of answers <!post=in this thread.,457156>in this thread.<!/post>