Thanks

Outlook 2003 offline use (2003)

I sometimes want to use Outlook on my work laptop offline. But when I start Outlook, it always tries to connect to the server and do a send/receive. In the status bar at the bottom right I see two messages:

1. Either "This folder was last updated..." or "sending/receiving"
    [and]
    2. "Trying to connect..."

I can cancel out of the send/receive. If I I right click the "Trying to connect..." message, there is a menu item labeled "Work Offline". But if I click on this, the pop-up menu goes away but nothing happens. The message "Trying to connect..." stays in the status bar and if I bring up the menu again, there isn't a check mark next to the "Work Offline". Shouldn't there be a check mark and shouldn't the status message change to something like "Working offline"?

And is there someway to start Outlook directly from the desktop in offline mode?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 offline use (2003)

I just noticed that there is a tray icon for Outlook with an "X" in it. If I right click that icon and then click on "Cancel server request", the status line now changes to Offline and the "Work Offline" label is check marked.

So back to the original question, is there an easy way to START Outlook (from the desktop) directly in OFFLINE mode and not even have it try to get to the server?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try Tools|Options|Mail Setup|SendReceive (2nd part of the dialogue) -uncheck the box. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All you have to do is go to View and select work offline. If you have your status bar visible, in the lower right is adrop down that can be set to work offline also.

Thanks

Yeah, bu tthe problem is that if you AREN'T connected when you sign-on, Outlook takes like 5 minutes to decide that it can't connect. You have to go to the tray icon and tell Outlook to stop trying to connect to the Exchange server. Just operating as designed I guess. Why would anyone even expect Microsoft to do better design?