3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Net folders with Lotus Notes (Office XP)

We use Lotus Notes for email and calendars, but have a request from an outside contractor to connect to their calendar by installing the Net Folders component for Outlook. Since we have little experience with Outlook, we are not sure 1. that installing Net Folders will allow us to connect to the calendar, 2. that Lotus Notes will see the Outlook calendar at all, and 3. what will Net Folders do to our Lotus Notes.

Basically I need information on Net Folders, how it works, does it work through the network, does the network need settings for Net Folders to work, etc.

Thanks for any assistance. These questions are not exactly on topic.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Net folders with Lotus Notes (Office XP)

Net Folders works only on Outlook 2000 or Outlook 98. It was an information sharing feature that allowed you to be automatically notified of changes.

From what you say, I take it that Lotus Notes has an extension feature that supports Outlook's Net Folders. Unfortunately, I was completely unaware of this and cannot comment.

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information.

Actually I know nothing about Net Folders except what information the contractor sent in an email. I would assume that it doesn't work with Lotus Notes. I'm just hoping to get enough information to say yes or no to trying to get it to work without breaking Lotus Notes.

If Net Folders is not available for Outlook 2002, then we have not way to even try to get to the contractor's calendar.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There is an extension to Exchange Server that enables contact between it and Lotus Notes - but that's basically for enabling the two to work together inside the same company for e-mail processing.

Your contractor's suggestion would indicate that they are looking to do something at little/no cost.

There is a standardised format called iCalendar; which Outlook somewhat half-heartedly supports. If this is also supported by Lotus Notes, then possibly something could be arranged whereby you can update each other with developments - although it probably would not be veery seamless.

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again.

I will check with the client to see how much they are willing to expense to get this contractor's calendar.