3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missed the boat!

Hello,

I am using NAV 2002, with update definitions for March 1, 2005; why then did I receive a trojan?

This came as an email attachment, which I did not open, however, I did a hotsync to my palm,
    this trojan is called Trojan.Tooso.b

What did I do wrong, and why did the Email not work in the NAV?

Thanks in advance

Dillon

Thanks

Re: Missed the boat!

According to Symantec it was only discovered on Feb 28th, perhaps they hadn't updated their updater?
    Trojan.tooso.D was apparently only discovered on March 1st, and you would therefore require definitions produced later in the day for protection against it.

I'm afraid new ones come out faster than protection can be given sometimes - you can not update too often.

Thanks

As you probably know, Norton has two independent features: one, I think it's called AutoProtect, will detect any new file that you add to the file system. So if you double-click the attachment, when it gets written out to a temp folder, Norton will intercept it. The second is a proxy that filters every message you download; you know this is in operation when you incoming mail server is changed to your own computer (with an address like 127.0.0.1). Even if your signatures are up to date, if you are not running the proxy, then the message will still arrive in your Inbox. So this is a possible alternative explanation to the one above.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Leif:

Thanks for your quick response, I updated the definitions manually, about 20 minutes later, the automatic update, started.

I am very fortunate, that I did not open the email, however, I still tried to view, the email by hotsyncing to my palm.

Appreciate your support.

dillon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello jscher2000:

Yes, I am aware of "Auto Protect" I had already chosen this option, however, I have just changed "How to repsond to a virus when found" to deny, from the recommended option.

jscher2000, I went back and reviewed my email accounts, in the advance tab, "This server requires an SSL, I have not checked this option, to very honest, I am not too sure if this would help, for the reason, that I have never used.

In addition, to what Leif said, if NAV, has not sent out the new "Virus definition" then your helpless.

Thanks

dillon

Thanks

Hi Dillon. I don't use Norton, so I don't know what "Deny" does. So I don't know whether that is a good change or not.

Regarding e-mail, you should not need SSL unless your Internet Service provider tells you to use it (it's rare). If you look at the POP mail server address, the one that might ordinarily say mail.myisp.com, does it look more like localhost or 127.0.0.1? If so, you probably are using the mail filtering feature of Norton Antivirus and you've done pretty much all you can do. If not, you have the option to turn that on.