Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open Word Doc from Access (2002)

I need to open a word doc from within Access. I have a text box on a form with a hyperlink stored in it.

Is there some "simple" way to open the doc file the link is pointing to? I thought all I would have to do is click on it or right click and follow the hyperlink menu but neither of these approaches worked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Lance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Word Doc from Access (2002)

If the text box is bound to a hyperlink field, clicking it would be sufficient to open the Word document. If, however, the text box merely contains the path to a Word document, there is no built-in mechanism that tells Access to open the document. You can use an event procedure for this, for example to open the document when the user double clicks the text box:

Private Sub txtDocument_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    Application.FollowHyperlink Me.txtDocument
    End Sub

(using the On Click event is less attractive, because the user wouldn't be able to edit the text box.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    I used the DblClick event to trigger the Application.Follow... method and it worked fine.
    Re: the first suggestion: I'm using a Hyperlink data type for the field in the test box. No matter what I do, single click, double click, right click->Hyperlink->Open Hyperlink, it doesn't work.
    Thanks again,
    Lance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink fields and text boxes bound to hyperlink fields work OK on my system (Access 2002 SP-3).
    Do you have this problem in one specific database, or in all databases? To test, you could create a blank new database, then create a table in it with just one field of type Hyperlink.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did as you suggested and had the same issue. Clicking on the link did nothing. I'm running 2002 SP3 as well. I tried it on a second XP box I have in my office also running 2002 SP3. It worked correctly on this one. Guess I'll be reloading Access on my primary machine.
    Thanks for your help,
    Lance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try Help | Detect and Repair first.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Didn't work. Still have the same problem.
    I use some Access developer tools that I loaded a long time ago. When loading one of them, I got an installation error which I believe caused this problem. I also have difficulty importing excel and CSV data. I get an error, the process aborts and kicks me out of Access. I import it on another machine and it works fine. Maybe this is just another capability that got trashed when I loaded the tools. I've reloaded Access before, but the problem remains. Perhaps something in the registery is not getting reset with the reload.

Thanks,
    Lance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If a repair installation doesn't work either, uninstalling all Access tools, then completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office XP may be your best bet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Lance