4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Starting Access (2002/SP2)

I have an Access database that I want to demonstrate from a PowerPoint presentation. I tried to paste my desktop icon on the slide but I couldn't get the icon to link to the database, it was only a picture. So, I tried putting some text on the screen and adding a hyperlink to open the database. That didn't work, I got an error message and then the database would not open. So, then, I thought that maybe I can put in a link to the desktop and then launch the database from there but I couldn't figure out how to get back to the desktop while leaving the presenation running. What I would like to do is to keep the presentation going, so that when the demonstration is completed, it comes right back to that point of the presentation. Also, I am not going to be the one running the presentation, so it needs to be a smooth running presenation because the person running it does not have a lot of patience. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Starting Access (2002/SP2)

Selecting a bit of text on a slide, then Insert | Hyperlink... and point to an Access database works for me.
    Do hyperlinks on a slide to other file types, such as a Word document or an Excel workbook, work for you?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We do this sort of thing fairly regularly - and we always start the database before we open the presentation, and then use the ALT-Tab key combination to switch back and forth. But Hans has given you a process that should work - the only unknown is whether PowerPoint will come back to the Slide Show windows or the PowerPoint window.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I tried it in PowerPoint 2002 (SP3), I returned to the slide show after closing Access.

Thanks

One reason to go with Wendell's suggestion, or at least have Access already running, is to provide for the best performance. Waiting for Access to start up and open a database might be a distraction for the audience...