Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Slow To Connect To Internet

I am having an issue with the length of time it takes to establish an Internet connection upon bootup (warm or cold it does not matter). The operating system is XP Pro and I have an AV and FireWall program running. I have run Spybot and Ad-Aware and the system is clean. I even ran defrag and still did not notice any improvement. Once I connect to the Internet navigation between sites is fine; no loss or noticable slowness. I have a LinkSys wireless router which connects to a cable modem.

Any suggestions would truly be appreciated.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow To Connect To Internet

I don't know if I have any suggestions or not, but can you tell us a bit more about what DOES happen when you boot your system? I too have cable, but not a wireless setup, and when I boot my system (every morning), by the time XP gets through loading my "TSRs" and I run my browser (Mozilla), I have connectivity. What happens in your case? Does your browser fail to run or yield error messages? Do you have a software firewall running and if so, which one?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You said this problem occurs upon boot up. So if you boot and finally connect, then close all your sessions but leave your computer on, go eat lunch, come back and click on your browser, what happens?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bill,

The browser works as expected.

BigAl

I have F-Prot and ZoneAlarm as the Anti-Virus and Firewall.

John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So is it taking a long to connect to the Internet of just taking a long time to completely boot up, set your AV and other startup apps going, and then your firewall lets you out?

Try this please, next time, power up and walk away for 5 - 10 minutes before trying to connect - then come back and see if the first time is still extra long.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

BigAlDoc and Bill,

I believe BigALDoc may be on to something with his post regarding how long it takes the "TSRs" to load. Is it possible to find a laundry list of the "TSRs" that will be loaded? If so, can I turn them off/on to find which @#$!% is giving me the problem?

Regards,
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would start with msconfig from Start, Run - then look in the StartUp tab.

The Command entry will show what calls up the StartUp Item - work your way down and you should be able to recognize most. Those you don't pop them in Google, or post them back here. For some STUPID reason, the window cannot be resized so you have to work with the column widths and the bottom scroll bar to see the actual file name.

If you remove the check, that item "should" not run after the next boot. Note that msconfig can be used long term, but if you find you don't need an entry, it is better to keep it from being called up - often the hardest part. The location column can help with that, however, I recommend you NOT mess with the Registry without checking back in - registry changes happen real time (you are not given the last chance option of backing out) so much, sometimes, irreparable damage can occur.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────