Star Lounger
    Thanks

Count Only True Values (XP)

Edited by HansV to avoid <!t>[Free]<!/t> from being turned into a smilie - used <!t>[t]<!/t> and <!t>[/t]<!/t> tags.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but I have a Report that Totals monies paid during a particular month for Meeting Rooms that have been hired. However, sometimes the meeting rooms don't attract a charge, so we have a True/False Field that indicates that it was given FREE.

The Report is based on a Query that Totals these amounts, but the True/False Field has no criteria set against it, so every Record is returned, even if the Value is Null, ie, the FREE Field is True. As such, when I try to Count the TRUE/FALSE Field on my Report, I get a Total of ALL the Records, not just those where the FREE Field is True.

How can I ask Access to only Count If True? Is it the IIF Function or the DCOUNT Function, and what would be the Syntax?
    This was what I was trying, but it was clearly wrong, however, it'll give you an idea of exactly what I'm try to achieve:
    =DCount("<!t>[Free]<!/t> = 'TRUE'")

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for asking what I'm sure is an easy question.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Count Only True Values (XP)

Since True = -1 and False = 0, the easiest way to count the number of records for which Free = True is to sum the values of Free and to take the absolute value:

<code>=Abs(Sum(<!t>[Free]<!/t>))</code>

BTW no need to apologize. The Lounge is for everyone, from beginners to experienced developers. And I'm sure others will benefit from this thread too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Count Only True Values (XP)

Thank You Hans both for the code and your kindness. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have a great night!

Your explanation of how ABS works in this situation is a LOT clearer than Access' own Help! I never would have thought of doing that (obviously, says you)!