Thread: CD-Rom drive

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD-Rom drive

Hello, I have a problem with my CD-ROM drive. At times it works when I put a CD in, doesn't matter if it is music or pictures and then other times it doesn't do a thing, meaning it doesn't even recognizes that there is a CD in the drive when I go to check in the Windows Explorer. Do I need to get a new drive or is there something else wrong that could be fixed. I'm working in WinXP if that matters, checked in the Device Manager and it says that the drive is working properly - oh really. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?? Thank you so much, Tira

Thanks

Re: CD-Rom drive

First and most obvious thing is to check for updated drivers for the drive. What brand is it?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 890 Posts

Second, open the box and check the physical connections.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. It's a Mat######a UJDA730 DVD/CR-RW. Trying to update the drivers was the first thing I tried, tried several times, but it says it couldn't find a better match than what is already installed. Joe, what do you mean by opening the box and check the physical connection???? Thanks, Tira

Administrator
    Thanks

Turn the PC off. Remove the side panel of the case. Then check to make sure that the cables attached to the CD-Rom are secure. If you are not comfortable doing this perhaps a friend or neighbor could help. Is this a notebook PC?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Tira,
    Check this site for Matsu######a UJDA730 drivers. It's about 20 lines or so down the list of drivers.
    I would download the drivers, set a system restore point and install the drivers.

Get it HERE
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I work on a Sharp laptop and if anyhow possible I'd rather not take it apart. Well, I guess taking it apart might be easy, don't want to think about puting it back together, though;-) Bob, I know how to download the driver but what do you mean by "set a system restore point"?? Thanks, Tira

Thanks

Tira,
    System Restore will take an image of your system files at a certain point in time. If you set a restore point and then make changes to your system that don't work or cause some trouble to your system, you can recall this system point and change it back to where you were before you made the changes.

Go to Start>programs>accessories>system tools> system restore.
    It will explain system restore and allow you to set a point or restore a point. IF you don't have System Restore enabled, there is also a link to set up SR on your system.

It's a good safety utility when you are changing things around.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've downloaded the driver, installed it but it still won't read from the CD drive. I do wonder if the driver really has anything to do with that problem. As I said, it reads some CD's but not others. The CDs that can't be read, once it is in the drive, I hear a clicking sound and the orange light keeps blinking. I just don't understand how it will read some but not other CDs????? Is there anything else I could do or should know before I take a hammer??

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I have the same problem with my DVD. For a long time I was able to read en write Platinum DVD's. But now I can't read or write with that brand anymore for no reason. I updated the drivers, I updated the firmware, checked everything possible, but without any results.
    Then I started to use Fujifilm DVD's. That worked oke for a while, but also with this brand I'm starting have trouble. Sometime the DVD is not recognized. As if there is no DVD in the player/burner.
    I hope someone as a sollution, or at least knows why this is happening.

Regards,
    Mary-Jane.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it sure is good to know that I'm not the only one having this problem. Even though my drive is a DVD as well, I never even tried to watch a DVD, all I'm trying is to look at pictures that were burned onto the CD and as I said, some CDs the drive reads, other CDs it doesn't. It's the same with burning, some times I can, then I can't burn, it says there is no CD in the drive, oh really.....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using different brands of CD's? I have this problem mainly with Platinum DVD's. I've already used over 150 Platinum DVD's without any problem, ... till now.
    The other problem is that the DVD-drive won't burn any CD's anymore faster than at 4x speed. All I get is the famous "Power callibration error".......
    The Platinum DVD's are reading well on my son's comp. so it's not the DVD itself. It's also not the burning-software, because I have the same problems with 3 other software. It's not the drive, not the firmware, not the cables...... what's left? The registry maybe?

Anyone a solution? Any idea?

Regards,
    Mary-Jane.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'd recommend that you NOT attempt to take a notebook apart unless you are very experienced and unafraid to dig into hardware. How old it the laptop? Could it still be under warrant?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't worry, I won't be taking it apart as no, I am not at all experienced with hardware problems. The warranty has expired, the laptop is about 2 years old. I thought maybe I'll buy an external CD drive, it might be cheaper than getting the one I have fixed, or what's your opinion on that? I do, however, wonder what causes this problem. It just doesn't make sense to me that a drive would read some but not other CD or DVD's. Anyone???

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, DVD-ROM drives certainly are inexpensive. The only drawback to an external drive would be another piece of hardware to lug around if you travel with the PC. Otherwise, it is a good idea. As far as reading some CD/DVDs and not others, are the ones read successfully commercial devices and the ones failing personally produced? Sometimes a drive may have trouble with a particular brand of CD/DVD.

Joe
    Joe