2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text appearance (Excel 2000 SP3)

I have just installed a new workstation, with a new, clean installation of Excel 2000, and I am struggling to set it up to behave in the way I am used to! Can someone please direct me to the setting needed for this one, please:-

Normally I have the program set up so if I have text in a cell which is longer than the cell width, as long as the cell to it's right is empty, the 'overspill' text will still appear, running across the cell to the right.

If the cell to the right is empty (I know it is, because I have just inserted a whole new, blank column) but my 'overspill' text does not appear, what do I need to change to make it appear?

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text appearance (Excel 2000 SP3)

In the first place, the "overspill" only occurs for text values, not for numbers and for dates.

You can check the formatting of the cell(s) containing the text that will not spill:
    Select the cell(s).
    Select Format | Cells...
    Activate the Alignment tab.
    Make sure that the horizontal alignment is set to General.
    Make sure that the vertical alignment is set to Top, Center or Bottom, not to Justify or Distributed.
    Make sure that 'Wrap text' and 'Shrink to fit' are not ticked.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text appearance (Excel 2000 SP3)

Hans

It was a third-party workbook I was editing, and yes, 'wrap text' was the culprit!

Thank you for your response (prompt as ever!).

Neil