5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't find Heading Level (2000)

I've got four pages. The first has an image (used as a background) and a Heading 1 Title and then a page break. Page Two has two columns of text ending in a column break. Pages 3 and 4 follow the same pattern.
    In Outline View, when showing Level 1 Headings, I can see both headings but there is a blank line between which also uses Heading 1. I need to get rid of this 'extra' heading line, but when I switch back to Print Layout View I can't find this line anywhere??!!!! I've tried all kinds of ways to track it down.. Any suggestions as to what might cause this problem?!
    HELP.. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't find Heading Level (2000)

Could you post a stripped down version of the document? You can remove most of the text, but make sure that the problem you describe is still present.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you I will do, but I can't access it till tomorrow. Will post it. Andy.

P.S. don't you find Word infuriating compared to Excel, Access? I can always find (eventually) a logical-ish explanation for Excel/Access behaviour. Word dumbfounds me still in the way it behaves!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Applications as big as Word, Excel or Access (or Windows, for that matter) will always have their idiosyncrasies. It's also a matter of what you're used to. I always feel I've stepped into an alien world if I try to write a macro in PowerPoint or Outlook VBA, others will have that feeling in Access, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect the "extra" paragraph you see in outline view is the page break. You can also see it in Normal view. See the attached picture.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached the part of my document causing the problem. In Outline View there is a blank line, apparently containing a Page Break, which is Heading 1 Style. When I change this to Normal style the document 'mis-behaves'. Thanks, Andy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Instead of a manual page break, I applied the "Page break before" setting for that heading ("Communications"). That fixes your outline view issue. You may want to make that setting part of the Heading 1 style, but that depends on your needs.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And this is the dialog to apply that setting. With your cursor in the paragraph, go to Format -> Paragraph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, that appears to resolve the problem. Do you know what the problem was though? Andy.