3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal Style Hell (Word 2K)

Have a problem that's driving me through the roof. For many years I have had a template that to write all my letters. Recently, it has started to misbehave. Let's say I have typed three paragraphs and then begin to type three numbered paragraphs. I type "1" followed by a period followed by a "Tab". When I finish typing the paragraph and hit "Enter", the numbering is applied to every paragraph; even to the date. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal Style Hell (Word 2K)

Two things are going on here (I suspect).

First, Word is helpfully (ha!) turning your manually numbered lists into actual numbered lists (turn this off from Tools->AutoCorrect->AutoFormatAsYouType), and some of your styles, along with Normal, have somehow been set to "Update Automatically". Since those other styles are based on Normal, when Word updates your Normal style (by adding numbering to it), it's also updating all the styles based on Normal.

There's a lot of settings suddenly changing here, if you're not the one changing them. Sounds like your Normal template is on its last leg.