Thread: Freecell Error

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Freecell Error

Hi,
    Sporadically when I try to play Freecell on my Dell XPS R450 running Win98SE, I get a 'Program Error.' The box says 'Integer divide by 0' and the only option is to close. When I do the game closes as well. Occasionally it will work just fine. I don't know what causes the problem, but would love it if anyone out there knows how I can fix it. I have deleted it and reinstalled games several times, but it makes no difference, it still works some time and not others. Any help? Thanks a lot.
    Lana

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freecell Error

A common cause of this in game programs is an incompatibility with the video driver. You might see if you can find a driver update for your video card. You could also try changing the video resolution to see if that makes any difference.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you installed Office XP or a Norton/Symantec product on your PC?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both responses. I tried changing the screen settings, both less and more, but it didn't help either way. I also tried to find an updated driver - actually downloaded 'something.' Not sure it was an updated driver, but it, too, didn't help. And no, I do not have XP - only Windows 98SE and I have McAfee Virus Scan rather than Norton/Symantec - is there any other product of theirs I might have? I'm not aware of any. Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I only asked about Office XP and Norton (AntiVirus) since there are mentions of problems with Freecell and Solitaire on Windows 98 after installing either of them. Since you have neither, the cause must be somewhere else.
    If the problem doesn't get solved, you might search Google for (free) alternatives.

Alan, are you reading this?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi guys,
    Did a search on Freecell on this site (duh - why didn't I try that first) and found a thread from 15 August 02 where Phil suggested doing an 'end task' on everything to see if there was a conflict. Well, apparently there was - a file called 'mcvsescn.' When I ended it, Freecell played just fine. NOW - do you know what that file is for; what is does? Can I safely eliminate it from my startup procedure? (If so, how do I accomplish that?) Thank you both very much for helping me solve this problem.
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

"Process mcvsescn.exe is an essential component of McAfee VirusScan antivirus suite. Mcvsescn is the main component of VirusScan e-mail module, which is responsible for scanning incoming and outgoing e-mails and reporting status to other VirusScan components. Usually, mcvsescn.exe starts automatically every time you boot a computer. It stays in background and performs its tasks. There is no need to terminate it manually. Killing it may compromise the security of your computer."

So it wouldn't be a good idea to remove mcvsescn.exe from your startup list. There is supposed to be a patch for McAfee VirusScan that solves this compatibility problem. (If you had the latest version, you probably wouldn't have had this problem.) Look for patches for the version you have on McAfee Security - Downloads.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much Hans. I contacted McAfee support via e-mail and he is to send me an upgrade to Version 9.0 (I just purchased this in October or November of last year) and said it will resolve the issue. I hope so, but can always contact them again if it doesn't. Thanks for all the help. I think I'll play a game before breakfast just because I can. Lana