New Lounger
    Thanks

contacts getting deleted (2002)

Periodically I will lose most of my contacts - I have around 800 of them on a normal basis. All of a sudden, I will see th quantity start to decrease, and it usually takes about 2-3 minutes and I end up with about 300 left. Does anyone have any clues as to what could be deleting my contact automatically?
    thanks
    tw

Thanks

Re: contacts getting deleted (2002)

Oh, that's bad. Outlook has a feature called AutoArchive that can be set to move old mail messages to a backup PST file named archive.pst. However, I can't think of a good reason that this would be turned on for Contacts. If you view the folder list and right-click Contacts (or whatever your Contacts folder is named), check Properties, is there an AutoArchive tab??? (In 2003, there isn't, but things can change)

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks, but no dice - the only unusual setting was under properties/general the 'automatically generate MS Exchange view' was set. I've removed that and will run for a couple of hours. This has happened on and off for over a year, but recently it seems to be happening more frequently. I maintain a backup so that I can just import them again, but this last time it happened I'd just updated about 30-40 entries and turned around to see that the deleting was happening again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This isn't good. Autoarchive shouldn't ever apply to Contacts. Is there any process indicator when this happens? Does the problem still occur if you turn Autoarchiving off globally under Tools | Options | Other | Autoarchive?

Some other random thoughts and questions.

Is there any chance you could be applying a filter to your Contacts? See if any of your Contact Views are filtered.

What is the size of your PST? If it's approaching 2 GB you should probably separate it into two PSTs', perhaps one for messages and one for contacts and calendar. What is the size of your Contacts folder? I'm not aware that there's a size limit, but perhaps it's an issue.

Are you on Exchange? If so does your Admin have any draconian policy on maximum mailbox size? And if you are on Exchange so do you frequently work offline?

Are you running any PDA software? Or any 3rd party "back-up" add-ins?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

John

No, I don't have any filters on my contacts, just on incoming mail. PST file has gotten to 1.9gb; but i beleive the problem occurred before that. I've since cleaned up the PST file and problem is still there. Regarding your suggestion to split the PST file into 2. Can I have 2 PST files 'active' or 'open' at the same time? Not running Exchange so there is nothing any admin can do to my client. I am running some client software (Pocketmirror) for a Palm 600, but I believe the problem started before I had that. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm scheduled for a migration from W2K to XP shortly, so I'm hoping the problem will be cleared up at that point.

tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

>Can I have 2 PST files 'active' or 'open' at the same time

Yes. <!profile=JScher2000>JScher2000<!/profile> routinely keeps many PSTs open. At 1.9 GB, it's time to split them even if it's not the cause of your problem.

Have you run scanpst.exe on the PST?

I also run Pocketmirror and haven't experienced anything like your problem with it, but it wouldn't hurt to check your sync settings, maybe even reinstall.

How do you back up your Contacts, so that you can restore them? I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try to export them to a CSV, make a PST archive as a safety net, and then reimport them all from the CSV to eliminate any corrupt Contact records.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS