3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't recieve Email (2000)

After switching from dial-up to (Comcast) cable access Outlook sometimes will not download my Email messages. I discovered that I can "fix" the problem by closing down Outlook and then restarting it - i.e. I don't need to reboot the whole computer, or bring down Windoze.

The error msg it posts is given below:

Thanks

Re: can't recieve Email (2000)

I can't think of any reason that restarting Outlook would fix this. Might there be a problem at Comcast? If you just wait 10 minutes, can Outlook access the server without a restart?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. Outlook is never able to acess and download my Email -- even days later. That is how I originally found out about this problem, by noticiing that I hadn't gotten any Email for days.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure that you have the correct POP and SMTP settings?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure. I can post them if you like. But whatever they are, they _usually_ work. If they were wrong, wouldn't they not work at all??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What do you mean by the following
    "Outlook is never able to acess and download my Email -- even days later"

Also if it works sometimes, have you call Concast and see if they have a sercer problem?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Microsoft has some rather elaborate suggested procedures in this article: You receive an error message when you try to send or receive messages in Outlook 2000 (MSKB 820672) Does it help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't tell if it helps or not - when I launch telnet <sname> a few minutes go by, then w/o anything apperaing to happen the window closes - so I don't know if it has connected or not, hence don't know if step #3 is satisfied or not. ...

Dave A. - I don't understand your question - my post answers yours just above it. Not sure what you mean.

Thanks

They might have left something out. Try this:

Start > Run > telnet mail.comcast.net 110

(That's the number 110, as in the port number for POP3 connections.)

You can type quit to disconnect and then close the telnet window.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - the 110 was the problem (apparently MS can't even get their bug corrections correct - I'd better sell my stock fast...).
    So I can get steps 1-3 to work. The other steps don't seem to match my software for some reason - e.g. the menu options and etc.
    But I was able to export the OL Express account file. I then removed the account in OL2000 and Imported the file I had exported from OL Express.
    I'll see if the problem recurs -- it used to be fine for a few days after I would close the OL2000 program and then reopen it.
    Thanks, I'll repost if the problem recurs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - this is happening again. And as usual, if I close and then reopen Outlook it works fine for weeks, then happens again. The MS KB article suggests that Outlook has corrupted a file. Maybe restarting it rebuilds a file???

What gets me is that I never had the problem when I used dialup (for years), now with cable it happens every few weeks -- it is pernicious because I don't realize for days that the Email account is broken -- and it is critical that I get certain Emails right away.

Comcast reports that the problem is not on their end, and also say they don't support Outlook anyway.

Any ideas??

Thanks

> Maybe restarting it rebuilds a file???

Outlook does check the integrity of PST files when it starts up. After crashing, you may notice a very long delay in displaying the Inbox. This would be characteristic of a file repair. The ScanPST.exe method is a deeper, more low-level repair that usually isn't needed for regular maintenance, but if you are having a number of abnormal shut-downs, it probably wouldn't hurt. (Make sure to let ScanPST make its backup.)

One option would be to upgrade Office. Not free, of course, but Outlook 2000 was sort of a messy hybrid with its CW and IMO modes, and 2002 and 2003 seem better built.

As a "backup" you could use one of the POP3 monitoring tools to "watch" for mail on that account on the server. I think those have been mentioned in the past, but the names escape me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx - I tried that. ScanPST said it found "minor" errors... I fixed them. We'll see if it recurs in the next few weeks.

I work for a non-profit and we can get Outlook 02/03 for cheap, but I just don't have the time to jump thru all the hoops to do that right now....