Thread: JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks

JPG

Anyone know why JPG would shut down the computer when you try to open it? Everytime I try to open a picture I've saved at JPG, it shuts down the whole thing. I can save it as BMP and it will work.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: JPG

How are you trying to open it? Are you trying to insert it into Word, or opening it from the Explorer?

If you're inserting into Word, what version? Earlier versions did not accept jpegs
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry...I'm not sure. But here's what happens...when I get an e-mail on Outlook Express with a picture, I right click it and save it into a folder on my desktop named My Pictures. If I save it as JPG and then try to open it, there goes my computer. I can save it as BMP and it will work. I don't know how it opens. Sorry I'm so new at this![img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this is the same for you. For me, when I double click on a jpeg, I get a similar problem (I don't need to restart the computer, on Win 95 Ctrl-Alt-Del allows me to stop an individual task). MS Publisher is the application associate with JPEG, and it doesn't seem to like it.

If this is the situation you're having, try:
    .Try to open the jpeg from your browser
    .Try to open from another picture editor (Paint shop pro or the like)
    .If either of the above works, assciate that program with the jpg extension
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

On my machine, Win 98SE, .jpg is associated with Photo Editor, which seems to handle it well.

New Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]I am sooooo impressed! I tried it (took about 3 times to figure it out) and it worked! I had to open it with MS Picture It!Express. It worked so I guess that solved my problem. Thanks so much! You are great!