Super Moderator
    Thanks

Import with formatting (Access 2003)

I am looking at converting a text field to a memo field, and using a Rich Text Control because I have a client who really wants to use formatted text for a specific field.

The problem is that this person wants to assemble all the data first in Excel, then import the data. He will actually receive the data from others who will each apply their own formatting to their data, before they give it to him.

MY question is: Is there any way to import from Excel and preserve formatting such a bold and italics?
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import with formatting (Access 2003)

Excel doesn't seem to be the ideal application to assemble formatted text, but never mind.
    Copying and pasting from an Excel cell into a Rich Textbox Control preserves formatting, so you can probably use Automation to transfer the information cell by cell. I don't think a straight import from Excel into Access will work.
    Note: I hope you are aware that the Rich Textbox Control only works in forms, not in reports.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I will look into the automation route, and see how it goes.

Excel is not ideal, but this client (and his clients) have been using it for years and want to stick with what they know, but move the bulk of the subsequent work into Access.

Yes I am familiar with the problem of Rich Text and Reports. In Access 2003, Rich Text controls don't even work on forms, so I am looking at third party controls.

Total Access Memo or the free one from http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm

The free one does not seem to handle plain text, so Total Access Memo looks better at the moment.

When I try to insert a Microsoft Rich Control on a form it gives this error. I found an article in a newsgroup somewhere saying they are no longer supportred for security reasons.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, Microsoft decided to make the Rich TextBox control useless in the latest version of Office XP and in Office 2003: Problems occur when you use the Rich TextBox Control 6.0 in Office XP and in Office 2003.