Lounger
    Thanks

Palm Sub-Folders

I have created numerous (170) subfolders in my contacts folder and I am only able to synchronize up to a maximum number of 15 subfolders.
    Is there a way or any third party software that would enable me bring all of the folders and information onto the Palm IIIxe.
    Thanks for any info you can pass along to me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Palm Sub-Folders

You don't say it, but it sounds like you are trying to synch your Palm with Outlook. I don't use Outlook, but I use another 3rd party (non-Palm) Contacts database on my desktop that I synch with my Palm, and think that I know your problem.

The Palm OS is limited to 15 "Categories" for each of its databases. Sounds like your synch software that you use to synch Outlook with your palm maps your "subfolders" to Palm categories.

I know of no program on the Palm side that increases the number of categories. I suggest that you try another Outlook to Palm conduit product tht does not map subfolders to categories, or mapps those in excess of 15 to the Palm "unfiled" category.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info.

That's correct, I am using Outlook 2000 and syncing to my Palm and the problem is that I can't have more than 15 subfolders. Is there another third party software that might allow me to sync all the data?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are many Outlook <--> Palm synching apps, including Pocket Mirror which ships with the Palm these days. I can't recommend one since, not using Outlook, I have ignored them.

I use a program called TimeMatters to synch with my Palm. TM permits virtually unlimited "References" for contacts which the TM sync conduit mapps to categories. It is a well designed piece of software, though, because (1) it warns you of the Palm's 15 category limitation, and (2) References 16 onward sync as "unfiled" on the Palm.

Realizing this limit, I have tried to streamline my categories for better Palm compatibility. Fifteen is not too bad a number (though I'd prefer a few more).

I had a partner once who had a strange filing system in my opinion. We kept our clients with their own expandable accordion style folder, with separate category folders in the accordion. I had a bout 4 folders in each accordion for different categories of paper. He seemd to have a separate folder for each document in the accordion. For me this was the same as having no folders whatsoever since he had so over categorized his files, that the categories became useless for finding a document.

So...

Try out the various Outlook synching products for something that works better for you and als, try to streamline your categories.