2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to delete corrupt autocomplete address? (2003)

In Outlook 2003, whenever I enter a given name in the To: field (or the beginning of the name), Outlook, using its autocomplete address function, or whatever it's called, defaults to one of two options for the address. One (the one it does NOT default to) is a real address and works. The other (the one Outlook does default to) is just a name in quotes ('John Smith'), and if I inadvertently select the default, when I try to send the email, I get a send error and the mail never leaves the outbox. In an effort to get rid of the errant address, I've deleted my contacts entry for this individual, to no avail. What do I do to make autocomplete ONLY use the correct address?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to delete corrupt autocomplete address? (2

Try hovering the cursor over the "false" name - before it fills out the "To" field - and press Delete simultaneously. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That worked. Thanks. And to think I spent so much time right-clicking and trying to figure out why there was no relevant context menu....

Still, I'm interested in knowing where these shortcuts/autocomplete entries are stored. Any idea?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

They are stored in a file with extension .NK2 in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook. The Application Data folder is hidden, so you will only see it if you show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer. See Microsoft Office Assistance: Copy Autocomplete name list to another computer.