3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking two PCs

Plea for help with novice networking! I currently have a PC connected to the internet via a modem/router (cable link between PC and router), and to a LaserJet 2300 printer. I would like to network a second PC with the first one (both running Windows XP Professional), giving access to the internet, and to printing using the 2300. Should I connect the network card in the 2nd PC directly to one of the networking outlets on the back of the router with a *patch cable* (as opposed to a *crossover cable* - presumably used when connecting the networking card of one PC directly to the networking card of the other)? If I connect the second PC via the router will it be able to print as well as access the internet? I currently use ZoneAlarm on the original PC - should I install it on both? I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Nick

Thanks

Re: Networking two PCs

>> Should I connect the network card in the 2nd PC directly to one of the networking outlets on the back of the router with a *patch cable*
    Yes

>> If I connect the second PC via the router will it be able to print...
    Is the printer directly attached to the first computer?
    If yes, you will need to set up a network share - see
    Get Started with Home Networking
    How to Use Windows XP to Share a Printer with Others on Your Network

>> I currently use ZoneAlarm on the original PC - should I install it on both?
    I don't use ZA myself, so maybe others can help here, but I would imagine you would be better off with the same firewall on both machines. (You certainly need a firewall on both!)
    You may find it easier to disable all firewalls while you setup the local network, but I would disconnect from the Internet while you do so.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking two PCs

Thanks very much indeed Leif for all your trouble - that's a great help.

Regards

Nick