New Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Conditional Formatting (2000/SP3)

I need to apply conditional formatting to a number of cells, with the reference value changing each time. For example, in cell B4, the formatting changes based on comparison with a value in cell I3. Then, in cell C4, the formatting change is based on comparison with a value in cell J3. In examining the conditional formatting dialog box, selecting a specific cell always sets up an absolute reference ($I$4). Is there a quick/easy way to set this up, without having to set up the conditions for each cell individually?

Thanks,
    DeNae

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Conditional Formatting (2000/SP3)

While setting up conditional formatting, remove the $ signs from the cell references to make them relative (you can also select a cell reference and press F4 three times to get the same effect).

If you select a range of cells, you can apply conditional formatting to all cells at once. Select Format | Conditional Formatting, then set up the formatting for the active cell in the selected range, and change the cell references to relative.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks! I'd tried to remove the $ manually, and got some very strange results. I'm not sure why I didn't consider that F4 should work there, too. You've saved me a lot of work!

DeNae

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Your problem in editing the conditional formatting code to eliminate the $ signs is probably that you don't realize that you need to press F2 immediately before you start editing, otherwise all sorts of odd things semm to happen to the code.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran