4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MAC AND PC (2000)

HI all,

does anyone know what the differences between running Excel on Mac, and on a PC might be?

I am doing a report that I would like to share with Mac users, but am not sure if there will be conflicts.

Thanks
    Darryl.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MAC AND PC (2000)

If the workbook uses VBA, you might run into problems, but if it is a "plain" workbook, I guess it should be OK. If you know someone with a Mac, you could ask him/her to help testing.

Thanks

Re: MAC AND PC (2000)

Now THAT's the question I asked myself 3 weeks ago [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Most of the users of the Excel apps I write have Windows but occasionally I get a Mac user. There aren't any docs that I could find on the differences (VBA-wise) and I did a lot of searching and posting questions on Mac forums. I did discover that you can't use any of the Controls toolbox items since those are ActiveX controls and Windows only. Once I removed those that I had placed on my worksheets (and replaced them with other almost equivalent things), my two Mac users were able to run the application.

The pop-up forms I created in the IDE worked fine for the Mac folks fortunately. It helps if your users have the equivalent Mac Excel version for the Windows version you have. Usually the Mac version lags behind in its release and feature set. In my case my Mac user has OSX and Office 11.1 which is very new. (I have xl2003).

I'd be more at ease saying the front-end of Excel (formulas, features) are mostly equivalent, but it's a guess on the VBA stuff. It must say something about this subject when you consider there are NO VBA books for Macs written. (Or maybe it's more that the authors & publishers don't want to bother with a much smaller audience.)

Deb