Thread: Font data (All)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Font data (All)

Windows and Office now have a number of new or updated fonts, particularly OpenType. There appears to be no way of telling which older fonts are now obsolete, especially with Reference or other specialized fonts, and no way of telling what is a required font.

I can see that the secretive Marlett is still with us and has been upgraded to OpenType, as has Outlook, but a number of new additions sent me to the dictionaries to confirm that they are principally for non-Latin alphabets. I have a slew of Special and Reference files (Arial, Georgia, MS, Times New Roman and Verdana) which may or may not have been rendered (so to speak) obsolete the new OpenType.

A number of fonts have not been converted to OpenType, and are possibly no longer supplied: American Uncial, Arial Special, Augsberber Initials, Beesknees, Edda, Georgia Ref, MS Reference 1 & 2, Times New Roman Special G1 & G2, Verdana Ref to name a few. Ransom is in a class of its own, but with the newer fonts Microsoft seems to be neglecting to include crucial language information in the Font Properties Extension data. Is there such a thing as a simple list or table with the answers?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font data (All)

Sadly Microsoft Typography no longer seems to be the enthusiastic unit it was in the days when the Euro symbol
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font data (All)

Believe it or not, I'm going by the only visible difference, which I should have asked about in the post: the icon. The fonts still all have a ttf extension, but I am treating those with an OpenType icon as OpenType and those with a TTF icon as TrueType. If there's a better way to tell I'd be interested to hear of it.

If you can see the details with a right click then you do have the Font Properties Extension, since you can't see much of anything without it. New fonts like Latha, Mangal, MV Boli, Raavi, Shruti, Tunga, and Vrinda are the sort of thing I was grumbling about, but of those I have just discovered that MV Boli is the only thing that lacks a description. All of the others are for Indic-script languages and it may be my own fault, since it is possible that I ended up with these by making a wrong (multi-) language selection when installing.

I guess anything that Microsoft failed to provide a description for can be found on the web, especially since MV Boli is a Monotype font, but with so much competition for ingenious names for ordinary fonts, and the need for certain essential fonts, such as Marlett (maybe) and reference fonts and Outlook (and assorted such for Adobe applications for those of us who have those), we really need documentation for exactly what they are. (If you want bonus fonts, install Microsoft Reader.) Incidentally, the modified date for my Marlett, which has the OpenType icon, is 23/08/2001.