New Lounger
    Thanks

Tables: Color a single row (Access 2002)

I have a drop down list that has 4 selections. I want to make only one of the possible selections a different color or font... anything to make that particular selection stand out. Can this be done? (I've tried highligting and changing the selection in the table where the selections are stored, but it wouldn't let me change just one row.. if I changed the color, it changed every row.)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tables: Color a single row (Access 2002)

You cannot do this in a table, but you shouldn't let end users ever see a table anyway. In forms (and reports), you can use conditional formatting, and there are also different techniques. See for example the replies to <post#=442552>post 442552</post#>, and also <post#=382292>post 382292</post#>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I don't think I explained my situation properly. I have a drop down list in a form where users enter data. The drop down list takes it's information from a table. I want to be able to highlight only one row of the drop down list. End users don't see the table, they only see the drop down list, and are able to make a choice from the list. I want to highlight one particular choice of the drop down list. "Required" If something is required, I want the user to choose "Required" from the drop down list, and I want the word "Required" to stand out.. by being highlighted or bold or anything that will make it stand out from the other choices in the drop down list.
    Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The standard list box and combo box do not support coloring of individual rows. You'd need Windows API calls to do that; I have no experience with that. You may find something under the "List and Combo Box Controls" heading on Lebans Table of Contents Page (lots of other advanced code examples on that site)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Usually, you handle that kind of thing in native Access controls by populating the dropdown with a union query and making that "special" item sort to the top by surrounding the text in parens or brackets or asterisks, etc. That makes it stand out visually, but you do need to build some code to handle that selection unless you have the actualy value in a hidden column.
    Charlotte