3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word XP keeps reinstalling (2002 - sp3)

I'm running Word XP (2002-SP3) under Win2000. About 90% the time when I click the icon, or click on a .doc file, Word goes through what appears to be an installation procedure ... takes about a minute before it comes up on screen. I thought maybe the latest patches, and SPs would cure it. But no ... it keeps doing that. Annoying. Anyone have a clue how to tell it that it is already installed and registered and all those nice little details?

Al

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Word XP keeps reinstalling (2002 - sp3)

This has come up in the past on the General Office Solutions board, and the most common cause is multiple versions of Word on the same computer. For example, if you have Microsoft Works, which has its own copy of Word, or a complete installation of a different version of MS Office.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why should that affect the loading of Word XP when click on the icon to start it up? And it doesn't do it all the time. Once in awhile it is well behaved, and opens like a normal program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If a different version was opened prior, the the settings for the current version MUST be set to over ride the prior versions settings. If the current version is then reopened, no settings need to be reset.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I presume, then, that these "settings" are stored in the registry.

Al

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes and/or the Normal.dot template, which WILL change every time you go into a different version of Word.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just checked ... Word 97 saves the normal.dot file in a different location to what is done by Word XP. So must be something in the registry that is causing XP to decide it has to install.

Frankly, at this point, I'd just as soon avoid the XP version ... but if I click on a .doc file it insists on opening XP. Before I gave in and "installed" XP, a click on a .doc file would start the installation process. The only way I can seemingly avoid this, is to drag the .doc file over the Word 97 icon on the desktop. I have tried reassigning .doc files to 97, but have been unsuccessful. The computer insists on going to the XP version.

Al