New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Switchboard (Access 2000)

For one of my databases I created a Switchboard with a dressed-up format I'm pleased with. However, I want to add one item to one submenu, and nothing I've tried has worked.

First I simply tried editing the submenu to add the additional item. That seemed to be OK, but when I tried to use that Switchboard, I got an error message that Access was "unable to find Option 6" (the item I had added was the 6th item on the submenu). I could change the VBS code for that switchboard to increase the declared number of submenu items by one, but that made no difference, and unfortunately I'm not expert enough in VBS to discern where else, or how, the code can be usefully changed.

Second I tried creating an entirely new switchboard with a new name, using the Switchboard Manager, and deleting the previous menus. That produced the error message "the form name Switchboard is misspelled or refers to a form that doesn't exist". The message also said that if the problem were with a macro, I would get a box displaying the macro's name and arguments. I didn't get such a box (and had not renamed the Switchboard itself).

I'd be grateful for any clues as to how I might successfully change the Switchboard. TIA.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Switchboard (Access 2000)

Are you wanting to add another command button to your original Switchboard? Did you create your original Switchboard using Switchboard manager? The easiest way to add a command button to an existing Switchboard created using Switchboard manager is to :
    Select Tools, Database Utilities, Switchboard Manager
    Select the Switchboard form you want to make the addition to and click Edit
    To add a new button click New
    Fill in:
    Text = the label next to the button
    Command = what you want the button to do
    Form/Report = which specifie object you want to take an action to
    Click Ok
    Use Move up and Move Down to rearrange the buttons
    If necessary refresh the Switchboard screen

I believe the maximum nmber of buttons woitchboard manager supports is 8
    Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Justine,

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It should be possible to do what you want. To add a new submenu item is well within the built-in capabilities of the Switchboard, no special tricks needed: select Tools | Database Utilities | Switchboard Manager... If you get an error message while trying this, it seems that there is some kind of corruption in your database. The Switchboard consists of two components: a table named Switchboard Items (with several required fields) and a form named Switchboard. If one of these is renamed, or if their structure is damaged, you'll run into problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. Yes, I created the original switchboard with Switchboard manager and had followed exactly the steps you list in attempting the change. The button I attempted to add to the submenu would be the 6th item for that submenu.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. It certainly did seem like a straightforward task, and it is hard to identify where damage might be and how it occurs. The original switchboard, both main menu and submenu work perfectly -- that is, until I try to add an item. Then, If I use the original Switchboard Manager items, and simply add a new item, that is when I'm told Access can't find the 6th (new) option. If delete the old menus in the Switchboard Manager instead, and then replicate them + the one new item, the Switchboard Items table does then contain the new item. But if I close and then attempt to reopen the revised version of the program, the Switchboard form neither appears when it should (& the error message about misspelling apears instead), nor does it appear on the list of forms itself when the Database Window is opened. - At the same time,, if I go ahead and open the Switchboard Manager, the revised items all appear looking just fine. I made no attempt to either rename or delete the Switchboard itself.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following:
    - Create a blank new database.
    - Import all database objects (tables, queries, forms, etc.) from the problem database into the new database with the exception of the Switchboard Items table and of the Switchboard form.
    - Select Tools | Database Utilities | Switchboard Manager...
    - Access will warn that there is no valid Switchboard, and offer to create one. Click Yes.
    - Close the Switchboard Manager without changing anything.
    - The new database should now contain a Switchboard form (leave this alone) and a Switchboard Items table. Delete the table.
    - Import the Switchboard Items table from the problem database.
    - Try the Switchboard form.

Note: you will have to set the startup options for the new database.

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANK YOU! - I now have an awful looking but WORKING switchboard, incorporating the new item in its submenu. - If that tells you what the problem had been, I'd be grateful to learn about it. And, also, if there's any reasonably simple way to import the *format* only from the old switchboard. Of course I can reconstruct it from scratch, but to the extent memory serves, it had been a bear to create. - I did discover in the course of this exercise that I'd apparently created this database via the version that immediately preceeded Access 2000, and had converted it via the new Access. No problems had occurred at that time. Is that possibly connected to the switchboard problem? - Again, many thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you had only changed the way the switchboard looks, you should be able to do the following:
    - Make a backup copy of the new database with the working switchboard.
    - Rename the working Switchboard form to (for example) Switchboard_working.
    - Import the non-working switchbard from the old database.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11).
    - If necessary, expand Microsoft Access Objects in the Project Explorer.
    - Double click Switchboard.
    - Select all code (Ctrl+A) and delete it.
    - Double click the renamed switchboard (Switchboard_working)
    - Select all code (Ctrl+A) and copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C)
    - Switch to the module for Switchboard.
    - Paste the code (Ctrl+V)
    - Switch back to Access.
    - Close and save Switchboard.
    - Test if it works.

However, if you had modified the code behind the old switchboard, you may have to reconstruct it partly or entirely. Be on the lookout for problems with missing references, and for confusion between DAO (the default data object model in Access 97) and ADO (the default in Access 2000).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can hardly believe it. After all these months (literally) of trying, I now have a beautiful, appropriately revised, working database! - Thanks to your help. - Your instructions were crystal clear, and it was a useful exercise, but I'm afraid the last two sentences about the DAO & ADO libraries were above my skill level, although I noticed that only an ADO folder exists. - I did change the single line that I knew I had changed (the loop limit) back to its original form, but neither the changed or unchanged versions worked. (I'm struck and embarrassed by the sudden thought that I might simply have failed to compile either version). In any event, and possibly deserved, I replicated the original format from scratch - with less angst & stress than expected - and found it to be a good review exercise.

Three cheers for HansV!

Justine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Congratulations!

Since you now have a working switchboard again, you can delete the renamed form (Switchboard_working); you don't need it any more.