New Lounger
    Thanks

Start word without blank page (2002)

Does anyone know how to get Word to start without the blank page. I thought it may just be a simple setting but cannot find the solution anywhere.

The reason I ask is that if Word opens with a blank page and I run a precedent it opens a second version of Word. Then if I close the first version of Word I get prompted to save as my normal.dot. Not just "save" it is "save as" and then prompts for me to retype the name. It is not consistent enough to figure out the problem. This problem does not exist when I open word, close the blank page, and then run a precedent.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Start word without blank page (2002)

Create a shortcut with the following target:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10WINWORD.EXE" /n

The /n switch tells Word not to open a blank document.

BTW, the behavior you descibe is not normal. You might try re-registering Word:
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10WINWORD.EXE" /r
    - Press Enter.
    - Start Word normally to see if the problem has gone. If not, see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, reregistering worked when I first reopened Word but then opened again and have a blank page. I tried the shortcut also which works perfectly. As for this not being normal I don't know what causes it but it happens intermittently to almost everyone in our office (120 people) so I think I will need to distribute the shortcut to everyone here.

Thanks again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would work through Phil Rabichow's star post to see if you can find the cause of the problem.