2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sort Options - Case Sensitive (Word 2003)

Wondered if anyone has any idea as to what the "Case sensitive check box" is used for (it's in the following place: Tables | Sort | Options | Case Sensitive? Whether I use it in or out of a Table with Capitals or not, doesn't seem to make any difference.; sorting occurs as notmal. Of course, the help files are useless so I wondered if anyone had any idea what this does? Thanks in advance for any input.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sort Options - Case Sensitive (Word 2003)

Hi there bwallis9! Trying to determine different behaviors can sometimes be difficult. It took me a few tries, but I was able to get it to sort ignoring case by using the following sequence. You can copy and paste the below list into Word and try your sort using both options. You will either need to paste this twice, or begin your test with the case sensitive option disabled and then sort case sensitive.

ONE
    One
    Finally
    FINALLY
    finally
    Finally
    FINALLY
    finally
    one
    one
    ONES
    Ones
    ones
    ones
    ONE

When you do this, you will see that by enabling the case sensitive sort, it will sort (ascending) so that all lowercase appear first, followed by upper/lower, and finally all caps.

Hope this helps!
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sort Options - Case Sensitive (Word 2003)

Thanks KB; I'll give it a try. Almost seems as complicated as Word's treatment of a Numbered List!!
    BW