New Lounger
    Thanks

Caption Labels Global?

I have found, much to my dismay, that if I change caption numbering for "Table", that it changes the caption numbering style for tables in all documents from then on! Is there any way to insist that it work only on the current document?

I get the same behavior regardless of whether I use VBA or the manual Word commands. If I include Chapter Numbers on table captions, then chapter numbers appear on every doc I create from then on. This is very bad, as not all docs need chapter numbering, but some certainly do.

My only other option is to create code for captions to not use InsertCaption, but just use fields for the StyleRef (when I need chapter numbering), and SEQ (with the s option when I need chapter numbering).

This is a pain, though.

Any suggestions?

Joel Finkle
    Senior Systems Scientist
    Pharmacia R&D
    joel.finkle@pharmacia.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Caption Labels Global?

Have you tried changing it using VBA as part of an AutoOpen or AutoNew macro, and restoring the earlier setting through the AutoClose or AutoExit macros?

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's a reasonable approach, but still frought with peril: (1) Users manage to find ways to disable macros -- security settings, detaching templates, etc. (2) Docs created while the custom one is open will be stuck with the same settings, and (3) On close, I've got to make sure that no other open docs are using the custom setting.

It's a royal pain. It ought to be a setting in the template, not the Word installation.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

When you say that all documents from then on a re affected, do you mean only new documents, or existing ones as well?. If it's the former, the change is probably updating Normal.dot. You can intercept (and block) this by going into Tools|Options|Save and making sure that "Prompt to save Normal template" is checked.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]