2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Passwords (Access 97)

I've got a surprising problem!.

These days in Access 2000 I always split the database. Now I've been doing some updating work on a very old Access 97 Database that is password protected. So the first thing I did was to split it. I realise that it would be a waste of time password protecting the main database, when all the confidential information is in the tables.

I thought that it would be a simple matter of just password protecting the backend database so that when the main database started and looked for the tables, it would ask for the password and all would be well!

Not the case it just says when you open a form from the switchboard, there was an error doing this command.

The work-round would be to not bother to split the database. But as all the experts say you should can anyone tell me the answer?

Thanks for your help

Michael Peak

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Passwords (Access 97)

Yes, you should keep the split database design!

The code behind the switchboard form opens a recordset on the Switchboard Items table in the backend using (presumably) DAO. DAO doesn't know how to ask for a password. You could supply it in code, but it would be better to employ user-level security. See The Secrets of Security on WendellB's website.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hanz, But there is no way on this computer which is an old Windows 98 in our Church Parish Office we could use user level security.. With lots of people wandering in and using it. all the time, it would be a nightmare to try to set up user-level security or groups or anything. It's bad enough when they come in and complain "It's not like the XP version I have at home".

As it works I can't justify any reason to upgrade it to our treasurer.

I looks as though I have no option but to un-split it. At least the lady who useses it backs it up onto a zip disk after she has used it.

But thanks anyway

Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How secure do you want to be? Are you after serious protection of the data, or do you just want to prevent people from accidentally getting into it, you might set a password on the frontend, not on the backend, and hide the backend database (and/or put the backend in a hidden folder). This will not really keep out people who know how these things work, of course.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, it doesn't have to be that complex even with Access User security. You probably only need to set up two users - one for the Treasurer and another for all other casual users. The Treasurer might have a password, and the casual users not, or both could have one. But your issue may be simpler - did you also move the switchboard table to the back-end? If you did, move it back to the front-end, and that may solve your error problem.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you are worried about people who are nosey but not too sophisticated, then there are several things you can do. Move the backend to a directory where it will be hard to find. Change the BE name to something that is rather innocuous. You can establish some minor security in the backend. Just create a form that asks for a password. Make sure you've turned-off the Bypass key. Again, all this will not seriously deter the hardcore snooper.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys,

I really do appreciate your help. But I think I have the answer. I mentioned that the treasurer backed up the file each time she used it onto a zip disk.

So when you suggested hide the file. All I need to do is take the tables off the hard disk and let her use the one on the zip.

She takes the zip home when her has finished with it, so as the data is not there it can't be looked at!.

So long as she copies the zip regularly that's it!

Thanks for all your help though - Lateral thinking won out in the end!

Best wishes

Michael Peak - Morecambe, England