New Lounger
    Thanks

ZoneAlarm + LAN + DSL

i have a LAN of 3 computers all connected (ethernet & wireless) to a router which is connected to a dsl cable modem.
    my (free edition) zonealarm sometimes blocks traffic. then i exit zonealarm and load it again, and it stops blocking.
    my ISP assigns a new IP address to my router every 24hrs. is that the problem?

actually, blocking traffic isn't a completely accurate description - my internet clients cannot get to a dns server with which to translate addresses. so, i can browse the net and check email if i enter exact IP addresses of servers (but that's not very practical).

how to tame zonealarm?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ZoneAlarm + LAN + DSL

Just to get some more information - and thinking "out loud"

It is odd (to me) that your ISP would assign a new IP every 24 hrs. It seems as long as your modem stays connected, it should keep the one assigned. Having said that, there should be technical reason your system should not recover from the reassignment - your ISPs DNS servers IPs should not be changing.

Your 3 PCs behind your router should not see any difference - they think the other side of the router is "the world" - so ZA should not be affected.

Are you having problems with all 3 PCs?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Thanks

I have three PCs connected (with wires, not wireless) to a router which is connected to a cable broadband modem. I also found that Zone Alarm would block access after a couple of hours use. The cure seems to be to find out the IP address of the router, 192.168.0.1 in my case, and add it to the trusted zone in Zone Alarm. Open up the Zone Alarm control panel by double clicking the icon in the system tray, click on Firewall down the left side of the panel, and select the Zones tab. Click Add and select IP address from the list. Add the IP address and a suitable description (I have put 'default gateway'). And you should be OK. You need to do it on each PC running Zone Alarm.

Hope that helps!

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some ISP's do not allow the use of ICS and one needs to pay extra for more connections, who is your ISP?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

it seems that adding the router's ip works!
    thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian - I find it odd that ZoneAlarm did not already have the setting for your router in its tables. Were these systems initially set up without that router? You might also want to add an IP range that will include the other PCs on your network - only this time, the range need be only given "Trusted" Zone access - this will allow you to share resources (files, printers, etc.).

Dave - I don't believe this is true - at least not anymore. The purpose of ICS is specifically to share internet connections. Since the ISP would only see the host machine, they would not know the difference anyway. In the beginning of broadband, and before the widespread use of DHCP for SOHO environments, I believe you were right several years ago - people wanted to put more than one PC on line, therefore, they had to have a second IP - the ISPs saw that as an opportunity to get some more money out of customers. Window's ICS changed that, and so did the widespread use of routers with NAT and DHCP.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bill,
    You are so correct, except I believe the OP is not in any MAJOR country and some of them have very strong government controls.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I had the router before I had Zone Alarm. ZA set itself up with the adapter subnet address as 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0. (192.168.0.3 being the IP the router had assigned to my PC.) I found, like Skroderider that all worked well for an hour or two but then I had to reboot to get connected to the internet again. I can't remember now where I found the solution of adding the router address to the trusted zone. Possibly on a forum on the ZA site. When my son put ZA on his PC he had to do the same.

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, certainly there are some tight government controls in some places, but I wonder how many of those would have broadband with TCP/IP - and not just dial-up? As far as the anyone listening, the traffic is still coming from one physical street address.

Well, that's certainly more than an isolated case that folks would have to add the Router so I guess it happens a lot - I'll have to remember that - I have always had ZA (both Pro and free) go out and find my settings with no problems. Glad you figured it out.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────