5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-connecting Office 97 (Office 97)

I had to reinstall Windows98 on my sister's PC last weekend. Now, we cannot open her Excel checkbook. My question: the reinstall should not have erased the MS Office program files, correct? If in fact the programs are still there, how to I get the new OS to allow us to use them? TYIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Re-connecting Office 97 (Office 97)

You will need to reinstall Office 97. By reinstalling Windows 98, you will have removed all recognition in the Windows registry that Office has ever been installed. HTH
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It depends HOW did you reinstall Windows - from "inside" the Windows or from the DOS prompt (exiting from Windows or booting to DOS), and to the same directory (WINDOWS) or to the new one (WINDOWS.000 or whatever). If "you cannot open" means you still see your data file in Windows Explorer, but can not open Excel, that means you must reinstall Office.

Explanation: Microsoft Office (and all Office applications - Word, Excel, etc) installation consists of two parts: program files on your hard drive AND registry entries in Windows Registry. If somehow any of these parts was altered, you cannot run Office applications anymore. Most likely, your Registry was altered (or new Registry files were created) during reinstallation. So, you must reinstall Office anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought there was some command one ran at the Command window like "regserve excel" or something like that. That's what I was *hoping* to hear, since I cannot find the Office 97 disk (of curse)!
    Since I cannot find the disk, and she's not going to buy Office 2003, and ignores my pleas to learn Quicken, can we download and use Open Office as an alternative? Will it read and enable her to do the simple math of the excel checkbook?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've never used OpenOffice, or done much research on it. However, Calc FAQ #025 from their website would indicate that it's likely. Also, their 2.0 beta "features list" indicates that the issue listed in that FAQ has been resolved. It's certainly worth a try.
    Karen

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

"With Excel Viewer 2003, you can open, view, and print Excel workbooks, even if you don't have Excel installed. You can also copy data from Excel Viewer 2003 to another program. However, you cannot edit data, save a workbook, or create a new workbook. This download is a replacement for Excel Viewer 97 and all previous Excel Viewer versions."

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en