New Lounger
    Thanks

Modifying database fields (Access 2003)

I am attempting to create an online store for my companies products, currently they use sage line50 as there only database... I would like to convert this to Access so that i can easily work with it under asp. My question is... The products listed in sage are not listed under any category and for an online store this is essential.. what i want to know is if i export the sage product list to csv and import that into access is there anyway of creating a new field (know how to do that) and giving this new field a range of rows in the table to class as one category.. i.e. rows 1-25 are all from the same manufacturer and are all refrigeration products... as aposed to giving each product (which will run into the thousands including spare parts) a definition for the new field....

Thanks for any help and i appologise if the question takes a few reads to understand.
    Russ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modifying database fields (Access 2003)

Will the imported table be sorted by the (as yet non-existent) category?
    Will the number of products per category be the same for each category? (Seems improbable, but I'd like to know for sure)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your prompt response

The imported table will be sorted by product code, which will mean that it will be sorted by category i.e. any product beginning TOP is a back bar bottle cooler and is there for refrigeration.

The products per category will not be the same, some will be as low as 3 some will be as high as 4000 for spare parts

Russ

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thinking laterally there is no reason that i cannot edit the CSV file under Excel and do a simple copy paste with the spreadsheet organised by product code.. that will eliminate the need to do any real database editing if i import it with the field and variables already there..

Can you see any real problems with doing it that way?

Many thanks

Russ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it will be easier to do this in Excel than in Access. I don't foresee problems, if you fill the category column consistently.