New Lounger
    Thanks

Retrieving Backed Up My Documents & Settings Foldr

I have a MAJOR problem with which I would be immensely grateful for some help.

A couple of days ago, I had a major crash and the only remedy Dell could find was a complete re-install of Windows which wiped out all data. About a week before, I had cloned the hard disk to an external disk using Norton Ghost. However, now when I view the external disk, everything is accessible EXCEPT the files in my old password protected Documents and Settings folder (John), which includes all of My Documents and my PST file with all my e-mail information. Thus I am able to retrieve everything except the most crucial information. I created a new User Account on my primary hard disk with the same name (John) and password as I was using before, but still nothing is visible in that folder on the cloned disk in Windows Explorer, except the folder name John. (In contrast, the subfolders and files under the Administrator, Shared, and Visitor are all accessible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John Hoffman
    canada@dslextreme.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Retrieving Backed Up My Documents & Settings Foldr

Can you clarify the use of the term "Password protected"

If this is a reference to Microsoft's Encrypting File System (EFS) then I think you won't be able to access the data this way.

Can you try configuring the cloned disk to be C: and booting from it?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Retrieving Backed Up My Documents & Settings F

By "Password Protected," I mean that you have to type in a User Password upon signing on as "John."

I am not familiar with EFS. I do not know if this is EFS or not.

The computer has two serial ATA hard disks with a Promise RAID controller. The cloned hard disk is an ATAPI hard disk in an ADS enclosure, connected to the computer by a USB connector. I do not believe it is possible to boot from it. I can remove the cloned disk from the ADS enclosure, but I don't know if it is possible to install the cloned disk in the computer to configure it as C. I suppose it would be necessary to bypass the Promise controller and have some sort of ATAPI to SATA converter.

Thanks for any additional help you can provide.

John Hoffman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you did not intentionally encrypt the data then it is probably not using EFS.

Try taking ownership of the problem folders like this...
    <UL><LI>Log in with Administrative privileges
    <LI>Right click the folder that you have access problems for
    <LI>Select Sharing and Security...
    <LI>Switch to the Security tab
    <LI>Click the Advanced button
    <LI>Select the Owner tab
    <LI>Select your username in the "Change Owner to" box
    <LI>Check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
    <LI>Click OK
    <LI>Wait till it has finished changing the ownership of all the folders
    <LI>Now try changing the permissions to allow Full Control access to Everyone (or whatever you think is right)[/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much, Stuart, for taking the time to help. Unfortunately, still no success.

1. I am logged in as Administrator.
    2. I right-clicked the

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lief:

I have XP Pro. I followed the instructions in MSKB308431 and IT WORKED!!!

I want to thank you and Stuart VERY MUCH for your help. It got me out of an enormous jam. I am a semi-retireed lawyer. I work out of my house. I have a lot of important files which I would hate to have lost.

It is wonderful of the two of you (and the others who also do so) to give of your time to help others with difficult computer problems. I have been spending considerable time assisting free of charge with legal problems related to dog rescue organzations. The world is a much better place when experts are willing to help others. Please let me know if I ever can be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

John Hoffman