Star Lounger
    Thanks

Empty/Blank Field Word 2002 (Word 2002 (104030.2625))

I just installed and switched to Word 2002 today. Can anyone tell me how to insert a blank field into a document? I found using ctrl F9 very handy to place blank fields in documents wherever I had questions, but I cannot find this option in the 2002 version. There are many, many field options, just not the plain ole blank/empty field option in the previous versions. Thank you for your help. It's such a simple thing, but very handy!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Empty/Blank Field Word 2002 (Word 2002 (104030.2625))

Atelby,

Ctrl+F9 to insert field brackets works fine on my Word 2002 machine. Are other types of fields inserting properly and displaying properly?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the rest of the field options seem to work fine. When I use ctrl F9, I receive many field options, but not the blank or empty field. It may be that my keys were reassigned, but I cannot find the insert blank/empty field option to reassign it. In the meantime, I've created a macro and assigned it to the keyboard, but am still curious where the regular blank field is located. Of course, Word's help feature hasn't shed any light. Thank you for letting me know the option is still there somewhere. If possible, would you mind checking your Tools/Customize/Keyboard/Commands to find out what the actual name is now? That way I should be able to find the function and reassign it back to ctrl F9. Thank you for your help; I appreciate it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In all versions of Word starting with Word 6 for Windows 3.1, the default action for Ctrl+F9 has been to insert a pair of field brackets { }. This is usually called a blank field, since it doesn't do anything until you type a field code between the brackets. Of course, Ctrl+F9 can be reassigned to another action through Tools | Customize..., Keyboard...

What exactly do you mean by an empty/blank field? An ASK field, or a FILLIN field, or a Form field (the latter from the Forms toolbar)?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

"In all versions of Word starting with Word 6 for Windows 3.1, the default action for Ctrl+F9 has been to insert a pair of field brackets { }. This is usually called a blank field, since it doesn't do anything until you type a field code between the brackets. Of course, Ctrl+F9 can be reassigned to another action through Tools | Customize..., Keyboard..."

My definition of a blank/empty field is exactly what you wrote above. The blank field is referred to as fieldempty in VBE. My default keyboard setting of ctrl F9 has been reset and does not give me the normal blank field. I have tried to reset the key function, but cannot find it by name to reassign it. Do you know exactly what it is called in the Customize/Keyboard settings?

I'm glad to hear the function is still available somewhere within the program; now if I can only find it.

Thank you for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you run this macro from a new document (based on the Normal template) it will produce a list of all custom key assignments to a new document. It actually seems to list all keyboard assignments, but regardless, should enable you to locate the Ctrl+F9 assignment.
    <pre>Public Sub ListCustom()
    Application.ListCommands ListAllCommands:=False
    End Sub
    </pre>

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Alan. I had tried looking at the assigned list previously, but didn't see anything. I finally found some reference in help as to bookmark fields and using field characters, but still couldn't find anything listed with that name in the assign keyboard commands, and I went through them one by one. Also, when I click on Insert Field on the tool bar, I receive tons of field codes to choose from, but no blank field option. I'm not sure what happened when I installed this latest version, but something definitely does not seem right here. Thank you for your suggestion; it was a good one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Atelby! The macro name is InsertFieldChars
    Karen

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Customize...
    Click Keyboard...
    Click in the 'Press new shortcut key' box, then press Ctrl+F9.
    You should see what Ctrl+F9 is assigned to, and if there are custom assignments, remove them.

If that doesn't work, see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Karen. Not only did you answer the question of what the function was named, but your answer also explained why I could not find it when trying to assign the key. I kept checking All Commands but it was listed under Macro Commands. Thank you for your help. I have it fixed now. :0)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. That was one of the first things I had tried. The key had been reassigned to my macro though, so it wasn't helping. It is working now with Karen's help.

Thank you for the link. I believe I will check that out, as I am having other problems with the way Word is behaving since the reinstallation.