Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Disc with Windows Home Edition (XPHome SP1)

My daughter bought a computer with Windows XP Home already installed, but did not receive a windows disc, and she has deleted something which is causing Windows to act funny There is no Internet Explorer! and we cant load a new version from a disc as it says it is already installed.
    How can we repair windows without a disc , Is Windows stored on the hard drive somewhere IF so where and how do we find the licence Key and and can we reinstall from that location.
    Or would it be possible to upgrade to windows XP Pro

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Disc with Windows Home Edition (XPHome SP1)

Your starting point should be to take these questions to the person who sold the system. It is going to be very difficult to recover without either a Windows XP disk, or a copy of the required files stored somewhere on your disk.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

See your point. but now out of warranty, Will we be able to upgrade to XP pro without any problem, ie saving existing info.
    and not get a dual operating system

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Very probably, assuming that this is a valid licensed copy of Windows XP Home.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My PC is a Packard Bell which came with Windows pre installed (OEM) and thus, with no Windows recovery disc. What I eventually discovered, through the lounge, is that the recovery software (for partial or complete OS restore) is on a hidden portion of my hard drive. It is accessed (at least on my computer) by 'start' - 'all programs' - 'packard bell support' - 'smart restore' (I think there's also an option to access by pressing one of the F keys during the boot process - The options are somewhat limited though, to more or less a factory restore type option.

Don't know if you might have something similar available on your machine? I can also access mine, should I ever need to, via 'safe' mode.

It helps, of course, if you have the computer handbook - relevant info is usually included in there somewhere.

hope this is of use.

Keith

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an afterthought, don't suppose that going back to a MS 'System Restore Point' - "Start, all programs, system tools, system restore" (back to a date before your daughter did whatever she did) would help? Might it, perhaps, undo whatever it was she did? Worth a try?
    Keith

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now sorted 12 Viruses 500 spyware, she had turned off firewall and antivirus,
    never ran any spyware removers never updated any!!!!

Taken me2days at Computer shop prices say