Thread: ADO (2003)

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

ADO (2003)

I have a situation at work where one group of people use an Access database in Brisbane, QLD Australia and another group from Townsville wish to log into it as well. As this is a distance of well over 1000 Km using the standard Jet 4.0 engine and DAO is just completely impractical. I am wondering if using ADO to connect the Townsville group to the Brisbane group would help solve the problem. Also, what effect would it have if we used the web to do the connection?

Could anyone give me some thoughts on this and secondly, if this is at all feasable, give me some direction on where to get good ADO training as I've never had to use it before.

Thank you

Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO (2003)

Others will hopefully have suggestions on how to accomplish this. I doubt that ADO will solve your problem; since DAO is optimized for use with the Jet Engine, and ADO is much broader in scope, DAO is generally more efficient when working with Access databases.

3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Robin

Have you thought about using Citrix to solve your problem. We used this at one of the companies I used to work for, and although the distance was less (about 100 miles) it worked effectively.

I think your choice between DAO and ADO is a bit of a red herring. In what sense is DAO impractical ?

Bodders

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You don't indicate what your operating system is, but if you have either Windows 2000 or XP, I would suggest you consider using Windows Terminal Services. In fact, either it or Citrix or one of the Remote Control packages such as PCAnyWhere are about the only solutions that we've found practical. I should add that it requires a fairly decent broadband connection (at least 256KB each way) to really be useable. We do use it to work with clients 1000 miles or more away and while it isn't quite like being there, it does let you be productive.

Another alternative is to develop a web-based user interface with ASP or another protocol, but that involves lots of work, and the resulting user interface is almost invariably less friendly and slower. In that case, you might want to consider using ADO - otherwise stick with DAO.
    Wendell