New Lounger
    Thanks

Passworded documents (2003)

It seems to me that I read about a way to open passworded documents. It was discussed as a security flaw but now I need it to open a document that we cannot open with the password we thought was used.

Sue

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Passworded documents (2003)

Hi Sue

You may have to go for one of the commercial password crackers to recover the file. I have never tried any but this Google Search on "word password recovery" may help.

If you used one of the strong encryption methods available in Office 2003 it may not be possible to recover the file using these packages.

One company that claims to be able to recovery files on-line in a few minutes is Decryptum. As a test I saved a document using the default encryption method with a 12 character password consisting of a random string of numbers and letters, both upper and lower case. I ran the file through the demo preview and it showed the first few lines of the file in about 1 minute. It was not able to recover a file that used a strong encryption method.

Thanks

The password to open is the strong one. The passwords applied using Tools>Protect document are weak. Neither saving to RTF nor opening with OpenOffice.org/StarOffice will work around the password required to open the file. (These not-helpful-to-you workarounds are documented in other threads.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately the document was small and easily recreated.

Sue