Star Lounger
    Thanks

Verify a dvd video

Hi All,
    My wife got me the complete set of Start Trek TOS dvd's for Christmas. One of the disc had a scratch in it and was unusable so I returned the set for a new set.

Is there some freeware out there that will allow me to verify the readability of a dvd without having to watch the entire dvd? I've got 21 dvd's and it will take a while to view each one. I'd like to know they are good right away so I can exchange those that are not playable.

John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Verify a dvd video

Why not try copying all the files on the DVD onto your hard disk? This is a fairly rudimentary test that they are readable, but not necessarily playable...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give that a try.

John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Not so fast.... Don't forget that the files on video-DVDs are copy-protected due to their encryption.

However, software exists that will override the copy protection. I have yet to venture into that realm (yet)...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My intent is to make sure that there are no playback defects on the disc. Short of copying to my hd, I may have to hope that there are no problems.

John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for not being more clear. I have no ethical problems with copies being made for such purpose...

My point is that you will not be able to copy the VOB files from the DVD due to copy protection. It will not let you copy them - even if you have adequate hard drive space.

You may, however, find under-market software utilities that will rip a DVD's content for you. This is probably the best solution you will find.

Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've just copied a video DVD to my hard disk without any rude messages. Admittedly not absolutely everything copied, but the stats are:

DVD: 64 files, 2 folders
    Used
    4,692,754,432 bytes

Hard disk:
    Size
    Size on disk

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...