5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot login after disk clone from IDE toSATA (XP SP2)

Hi all,

I attempted to use Norton Ghost 9 to clone the boot partition of my 40 Gig Hard drive to a brand new 160 Gig SATA Hard drive. The drive copy seems successful and it started Windows fine. However, when I attempt to log-in to any profile, I am not successful. It pauses, displays "Saving settings", and then "Logging off".

Now, I assume that what is going on here is that when I changed from the IDE connected drive (1st IDE) to the SATA drive (which my BIOS seems to see a IDE 5 ), there are some file paths that windows is looking up to load the profile, and the different connection means they have been changed.

Now, I don't know what kind of file paths these would be, so I'm not sure I'm right on this. Unfortunately, my only recourse seems to be a reinstall. Even that won't help much becuase it will likely wreck my previously profiles.

So, I'm resigned to a rebuild, but it's still puzzling to me to not know what went on. This is my home machine, but if something like this happened to one of my office boxes, it would be a big problem.

So, I'm throwing it out there and seeing if it causes an "Aha" moment with anyone.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot login after disk clone from IDE toSATA (XP SP2)

I had a similiar problem where Windows XP would log me off immediately after logging in. Turned out that I got a little over zealous in cleaning out my registry and deleted the following hive key;

Key - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon
    Subkey (REG_SZ) - Userinit
    Value - C:%windir%system32userinit.exe,
    where %windir% is where Windows is installed, e.g., C:Windows or C:WINNT

Assuming that this is the cause of your problem you'll need to load the SOFTWARE file located in C:%windir%System32Config using Regedit and check to see if the subkey is present and/or if the value is EXACTLY as shown. MS KB article 256986 applies. The following article Editing the Registry for other Users may help also.

Let me know.

Gaylen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Jim,

Check out this thread: Login problem with Windows XP. Looks as though there are a couple of possibilities to investigate.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you have your 40 GB drive still intact, you can clone your Windows installation to the new drive once again, but after preparing Windows for hardware changes (to run mini-setup).

To do so:
    1. Boot your computer from the old (40 GB) drive.
    2. Download Windows Deployment Tools from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
    3. Create SYSPREP folder on your C: drive (C:SYSPREP), extract SYSPREP.EXE from downloaded CAB file and copy it to SYSPREP folder.
    4. In SYSPREP folder create a text file, name it SYSPREP.INF (make sure it is not sysprep.inf.txt - check the icon), and type as follows

[Unattended]
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    TargetPath=WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=" {Type your password between double quotas} "
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=35
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductID={Type your Windows key here}
    FullName=" {Type your name} "
    OrgName=" {Type your organization name} "
    ComputerName={Type your computer name}

[Display]
    BitsPerPel=16
    Xresolution=800
    YResolution=600
    Vrefresh=60

[TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=1
    Dialing=Tone
    AreaCode={Your phone area code}
    LongDistanceAccess=""

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
    BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
    Proxy_Enable=0
    Use_Same_Proxy=0

[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=yes

[SysprepMassStorage]

[sysprepcleanup]
    Service=toside
    Upperfilter=VIAAGP
    Lowerfilter=perc2hib

[GuiRunOnce]
    Command0="c:iconscopyicon.cmd"

{End of copying}. Type all your information where I put {Type}. If you do not remember your Windows key, download and run RockXP 3.0. Windows key is 25-characters code as A1B2C-3D4E5-6F7G8-H9J0K-LMXYZ. Your Computer Name can be anything - like MYHOMECOMP02. It is needed to indicate your computer on the network (even if you does not connect to).
    5. Save SYSPREP.INF file and run (double-click) SYSPREP.EXE in SYSPREP folder.
    6. After Sysprep process is finished, your computer shuts down. Now you can clone your Windows installation to another hard drive.
    7. Boot computer from a new hard drive. Windows Setup will start mini-setup process. If you create your sysprep.inf file properly, Windows will reboot and everything will be ready.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot login after disk clone from IDE toSATA

Oh! I completely forgot about Sysprep. I guess that would have been good.

No matter, I just did a bare-metal reinstall, and I'm takling the time (and rainy sprin afternoons ) to get everything set up the way it should be.

Thanls