Lounger
    Thanks

Word links - Definitions (XP)

I work for a law firm where we tend to have very long documents that begin with a listing of terms and definitions that are used throughout the remainder of the document. We'd like to set something up where, if you're in the document and on, say, page 75, you don't have to go allllll the way back to the definitions section to read the meaning.

I've figured out one way of bookmarking each term, then insert a hyperlink (with the definition as screen tip text), copy it, then do Edit, Replace All with the Clipboard Contents. This works OK, but isn't ideal as 1) it limits the screen tip to 256 characters, 2) is quite cumbersome to set up and then edit later on and 3) if the user clicks the link, they'll either have to scroll allll the way back down or know Shift+F5.

I've done some VBA work with Word in the past, but I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to come up with something that will pull in all the terms and their definitions, then have the remainder of the document automatically turn each instance of any of the words into a link that will then pull the list of terms and definitions open in another window (sort of like the help index).

OR, is there a way to insert just the screen tip?

Does anyone have some advice for me?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word links - Definitions (XP)

Why doesn't the web toolbar work if you cross-ref to a bookmark and include a hyperlink? The web toolbar should pop up when they click a hyperlink, and should allow them the use of the back button.

Why don't you Insert-Comment?

I assume this changes from one file to the next...

Some text removed by HansV because it violated <!rule=12>Rule 12<!/rule>

Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I forgot to mention that the comment function won't work for us - we use metadata scrubbers pretty regularly that would wipe out the comments along with track changes. Way too much liability with the Reviewing toolbar.

The back button might work well enough, but the whole procedure is not nearly as 'slick' as our users would like (you know those attorneys!).

Some text removed by HansV

Thanks

One possible method would be to use Word's "split screen" feature, keeping the text at the "current" insertion point in one pane, and scrolling the other pane to the definition of the selected word or phrase. I suppose that could be done with some fancy bookmark names or by using a case-sensitive Find.

Oops, have to run, so no time to code up anything. Does this seem conceptually promising, at least?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think if you're going to go through all the split screen, why not a userform that pops up instead? Those can be coded to use just one userform, right? And I'd think any definition you come up with could fit in one...