Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date in notification area (Windows XP Pro)

My husband and I share the computer, we each have a separate account. He did something (we'd LOVE to know what!) and the notification area on his account now shows not just the time, but also the date. The taskbar now covers a good inch at the bottom of the screen. We want it back to "normal", meaning only the time shows and the task bar is maybe half an inch high.

This happened once before, but I cannot recall what I did to correct it. It might help if we knew how it happened, what he did to cause it. Any help will result in great quantities of gratitude.

Thanks!

Jo Byrd

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date in notification area (Windows XP Pro)

Right click a blank area of the taskbar, and if there is a tick next to "Lock the Taskbar" select it to clear the tick.
    Grab the top of the taskbar with your mouse and drag it to the correct height.
    Right click and set "Lock the Taskbar" again to help prevent future accidents

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Stuart, but that's not the problem. The problem is the entire date and time and not just the time appearing in the Notification area like this:

Tuesday
    7:17
    March 15, 2005

If I can get rid of the day of the week and the calendar date showing, all will be well. What I can't seem to figure out is how the entire date started showing up in the first place or what to do to get ride of it in the Notification area.

Thanks!

Jo Byrd

Thanks

Have a look at <!post=this previous thread,455579>this previous thread<!/post>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jo

Trust me, Stuart's solution is the way foward. The date will display in full if the height of the task bar allows it to. If you reduce the height of the task bar by dragging the top edge downwards, you'll see the date disappear and just the time left behind. Dragging the top edge of the taskbar back upwards again, increasing the height, makes the date reappear.

You can make the date and time disappear completely if you wish:

1. <LI>right-click on the task bar
      <LI>uncheck the "Show the clock" box
      <LI>press ok
    Hope this helps,
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, this is WEIRD! I'd tried to drag the top of the taskbar down to the preferred height and nothing happened. I'd already tried that before I wailed for help. However, something must have worked, I checked just now, and only the time shows, just like we prefer. Don't know how it happened, how it corrected itself, but it's now cured.

Thanks, gang, I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond and offer suggestions.

Jo

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know. Let's hope it stays fixed now!

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, mystery solved. My daughter figured out how to fix it and wasn't home to tell me. You were dead on with your advice, Stuart....in the "now I feel REALLY stupid" department, I had tried to grab the top of the taskbar and resize it, but for some reason it wouldn't resize. I have a cordless optical mouse and maybe it needed charging. If it doesn't get regular "fixes" it tends to develop an attitude, so maybe that was the problem.

Again, thank you, all of you, for your assistance.

Jo