5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Several hardware questions.

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 15-Mar-05 11:15. to replace strangely named zipped attachment with a .jpg.)</P>Hi,
    I have several questions regarding my computer. Hope someone can help! I'll probably need things to be explained in a pretty simple way, I'm no expert on the internal workings...........

1) I am trying to attached the hard drive to the motherboard with a slave DVD-ROM. The blue connector goes in the motherboard, the second to the hard drive, third (at the other end) into the DVD-ROM. However when I boot up, none of the drives are recognised. If I unplug the DVD-ROM, the mobo recognises the harddrive...where am I going wrong?
    2) I am trying to connect 3 drives, CD-RW, DVD-ROM etc. I have enough power leads, but there is another small lead with about 4/6 pins that connect to the drives and the mobo. I only have two of these. What are they and can I do without?
    3) My CD-RW isn't writing. The drive works in the sense that it plays discs. Just won't write...........I'm pretty sure that it does work as its pretty new. What can I do to test/reinstall it?
    4) What is the best card I can get for an AGP 4x slot. Can I still get one of the newer 8x cards? I mainly want this for gaming.........

Cheers, attached is an image of my motherboard...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Several hardware questions.

Hi Nigel,

Hopefully this will just be a simple jumper issue. Look, on the back of both the DVD and the harddrive. You will see a set of 6-8 pins and a jumper block across 2 or more of them. The settings are typically labeled MA (Master), SL (Slave), CS (Cable Select). Most drives have a key on the drives label. Make sure your HD jumper is set to Master, and the DVD is set to Slave..

Typically, your cable is configured with the systemboard (motherboard) on one end, the Master on the opposite end, and the Slave in the Middle connector.

Is that how you have it connected?

The other small leads you will have to describe more. Did they come with the drive or with the motherboard?

As far as video cards, it is hard to recommend with out know what you want to do with it and your budget - you gave us gaming, what about budget?

And yes, many of the new 8X cards will work in 4X slots - and I think it is smart you looking that way - then the 8X will carry over when you upgrade your motherboard - if you don't wait too long - AGP cards will be phasing out over the next 2 - 3 years.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I've tried both ways. But if I know that the master is on the end and the slave is in the middle, this helps vastly. I'm pretty sure that it is a jumper issue. With regards to the key, is this simply a case of flicking it from master to slave on the relevant drive.

The smaller leads came with the motherboard and are connected via a pin between the AGP slot and PCI slot.

With regards to the graphics card, I was thinking of a geforce FX5900, not the newer Geforce 6's. I think this will probably handle my requirements. Quite interesting to learn that AGP will be phased out, presumably by the newer PCI express cards or is there something else in the pipeline?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Along with Bill's advice,

1 ) The "conventional" way to hook these up would be to put the Hard drive on your "Primary IDE" and your CD drives to "Secondary IDE".

2) Is this perhaps your floppy drive power connector?

3) Do you have Nero? It has testing software incldued. Otherwise, please give more information about what happens when you try

4) Best card really depends on how much money you have to spend. I think people like Vidia-based cards for gaming though. I'd start looking there.

Thanks

Nigel,
    I suspect the small cables are the audio out connectors for your CD/DVD drives. You only need them for drives from which you want to be able to play music directly (if you rip your music to disc these are not necessary).
    HTH
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, thats fine. I was pretty sure they were audio related. So presumably any thing that requires sound needs to go into a drive with the audio cables attached, i.e. like games, music CD's etc.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their help, I'll me opening the baby up tonight and having a fiddle.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Rory and normally you don't need the audio cables - I'm not certain what he means by play music directly - playing a music CD will work right through the controller connector just fine. I would not worry about them just yet.

I suspect that video card will suit you fine - most likely a big step up from current card.

Yes, PCI Express will likely take over - current high end trend is to use 2 PCI express cards with 1 monitor - parallel processing for just the video - there's some serious computing horsepower - but that's $1000 or more just for the 2 cards! Fortunately, the lower end cards are more affordable - and you only need one. But that's where kids with no money to burn spend their money.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────